Weird brown "Patch"?

Douglas

"Ardbeg Man"
Ride
2010 Rocket Roadster with Jardines 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Hey Folks...I have been riding every day since the ice melted (2010 Roadster) here in Alaska and still the grin stays glued to my face...my friends all think I've gone wonkers! I've entered the R3 owners phase whereby I am looking at everything on the bike and askin' "What does this do?" Last night i shined a light under the oil resevior and here is this odd looking brown "patch" sort of thing attached to oil tank and kinda peeling off-is this some sort of heat shield?

Many thanks, and I love reading this site-cant stop riding the Rocket! -Doug, Anchorage Alaska.

Smoking!

If thats the case Tomcat I'd better peel it off and give it to my mate who rides a Harley...I followed him a bit this weekend and noted he was puffing out brown smoke between gears. I should have mentioned I am the second owner...I wonder if the first owner put it there for some reason. -Doug

Winter not so long...

Actually the winter is not so long-I started riding about May 5th and if I am lucky will still be riding by the end of September giving us about 5 months of ride time. I have battery operated gloves. In the winter its all skiing-either downhill, track, or backcountry. There are a couple of HD riders on trikes running studded tires in the rear and wearing plenty of clothes-its kind of fun to see them in the winter blazing around.

I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to place an order for a 2014 R3-I know there is one other guy in town with a beast, but I rarely see him and I am pretty certain the 2010 I am riding (bought from the dealer) belonged to him so it would fun to chat him up a bit about the bike. If there are any other Rocket Riders in Alaska and they would be interested in riding please feel free to contact me liveforwhisky@gmail.com

Sorry couldnt help myself. Sounds kinda like a patch heater except there should be a cord. Wish i could be more help.

No cord

Just a patch of material, glued to the bottom of the oil tank, made of that same kind of material you might see a zodiac raft made of...I dont think Triumph put it there. I can only assume that its purpose is to reduce heat coming from the power plant thereby keeping the oil cooler. You can only see it when your on the floor with a flashlight, but now that i know its there it bugs me.

To remove or not to remove...that is the question! :confused:

Back