We ride all year in Buffalo

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG

You're a lot braver than I was when I attended UB almost 3 decades ago. I left my bike at home when it looked like that!

Love it! Good on you! Here in Anchorage we have a few folks riding around all winter...I call em' "Sidecar Bob's" There is one guy running a Urul and another on a Beemer and yet another rides a trike. I would love to set up a winter bike someday-For those who have tried it I wonder; Is there more traction, breaking performance, and general overall "Fun" with a sidecar setup or a trike?

Love it! Good on you! Here in Anchorage we have a few folks riding around all winter...I call em' "Sidecar Bob's" There is one guy running a Urul and another on a Beemer and yet another rides a trike. I would love to set up a winter bike someday-For those who have tried it I wonder; Is there more traction, breaking performance, and general overall "Fun" with a sidecar setup or a trike?

I have never ridden a trike but have had quite a few sidecars over the years but never in the snow but the famous Snowbum BMW mechanical guru ( Snowbum, Snobum, BMW motorcycle repairs, Airheads, Oilheads, Classic K-bikes, prostate cancer ) used to. His very, very long biography is quite amazing and worth a read despite the challenging rainbow text. A true Polymath! Robert Fleischer, snowbum, snobum, Full biography try the novelette it takes a while!

Sidecars are heaps of fun but can be quite disconcerting at tmes especially on off-camber left handers for our Aussie/UK versions with chair on the left, especially when the chair goes skyward and you keep going straight ahead. A bit of weight transfer and muscle is required at times if no 'passenger*' onboard the chair (*the correct term is 'ballast'). I used to get on preferably wide gravel roads hit the brakes and do 360's down the road for fun.

Very simply for our versions they turn left around the fulcrum of the 3rd wheel by applying power to the back wheel and turn right by braking and the weight of the chair swings around the bikes centreline assisting right hand turns. The weight can severely decrease normal brake performance and traction or the lack of it is part of the tool set for riding.

There is a large number of experienced bike riders who try one once only after scaring the crap out of themselves when they head straight out of control towards some large obstacle.

Back