tdragger

Living Legend
I've never had any luck with waxing so I'm looking for some guidance from those of you with the sparkling beauties.

How do you keep/get the wax out of the nooks and crannies around the fuel filler and badges?

Should you wax your windshield if you have one?

In the sun or in the shade?

+ any other tips would be appreciated.

Always wax in the shade and when the surface is not hot from being in the sun. I try to be careful when applying wax not to get it in all the cracks and crevasses, but when I do I use a thin cloth and wrap it over the tip of my finger and poke in there to get it. If that doesn't do it I'll use a q-tip.

Definitely doit in the shade for starters.

A "soft" tooth brush or new born baby hair brush works the crevices clean.

Additionally, many "waxes" have chemicals that will discolor black plastics and rubbers. I've found "Glare" Professional Polish doesn't cause this damage. The product is sold exclusively by the manufacturer and by Honda, as "Honda Glare" polish. It's not cheap. It has done a remarkable job of restoring the burnishing of the leading face of the seat rubbing against the tank and where leather chaps may dull the finish on the sides of the tank; stemming from knee pressure application on the withers :D

It won't do the work of Billy Mays scratch remover https://www.tvproductscentral.com/buyfixit/index.asp?did=445&phone=1-800-528-1827&refcode=GF1 but it's close. :D

And if you've not already gotten yourself an air blower here's the best of two worlds: Walmart.com: Shop-Vac 12-Gallon Wet/Dry Blower/Vacuum: Appliances A shop vac with an air blower in one. Rinse the bike to cool down the surface then give 'er a blow dry.

Last edited:
Hey tdragger, see if you can find a can of "Plexus" plastic cleaner for the windshield. It takes away minute scratches & leaves a clear luster to the surface (almost as thought it was waxed). I carry mine with me on long trips to bring the clarity back from miles on the road. No waxing needed. Just be sure to hose off the dust before hand so you are not using it (the dust) as sandpaper.

I really like this product.

plexus rules-I detail my bike with it after every ride. Takes about 2 minutes. If you get wax where it does not belong-get Wizard's Back to Black. Done deal.

My concern on the windshield is that I don't want to damage the mirror finish (kind of like mirrored sunglasses). Sounds like wax isn't the thing to use. Rather Rain-X or Plexus are the right items. Thanks for the responses.

Back