Waterpump leak after 3 month lay up

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I just thought I would update the forum on my bike behaviour. After the 3 month layup and the oil dropping to the sump the water pump has dripped coolant onto the floor. it seems running the engine has caused the seal to leak initially then reseal itself. It stopped after the engine warmed up but can I now trust it to be watertight? Bike is 3 years old with 8000 miles.
I think I have seen others comment on this subject before.

Mine dribbled a bit for a couple of starts after a 3 month stationary period (naffed shoulder) - Thereafter fine. This does not mean you should not keep an eye on it - I still do.

Mine did that for years. Split the water pump, leave the seal in place and go over top of it with gasket maker (I used Ultra Black) and I have never had it weep again. I replaced the O-ring (oil seal) on the shaft of the pump as well while I was at it. I honestly think the metal contracts so much in the cold that it starts to weep. Cheap and easy fix and worth your time.

Mine did that for years. Split the water pump, leave the seal in place and go over top of it with gasket maker (I used Ultra Black) and I have never had it weep again. I replaced the O-ring (oil seal) on the shaft of the pump as well while I was at it. I honestly think the metal contracts so much in the cold that it starts to weep. Cheap and easy fix and worth your time.

Thanks, great advice.

Just been chasing this problem on mine , put new o rings and seals in last year ! Give your hose clips a tweak where they join the pump housing , little buggers weep for a pastime , the coolant tracks to the bottom of the pump and drips . Looks like it's coming from the weep holes , but it's not !

Just been chasing this problem on mine , put new o rings and seals in last year ! Give your hose clips a tweak where they join the pump housing , little buggers weep for a pastime , the coolant tracks to the bottom of the pump and drips . Looks like it's coming from the weep holes , but it's not !

Thanks for that. I will check the clips.

Back