Water temp light...

RJ Kegley

.020 Over
Ride
2017 R3R
Was on a ride with daughter a couple of days ago. Brand new oil after 500 mile service. Was 111 degrees outside and humid. Went to enter our local national park that has some nice twisties. Got a couple of tourists that wanted to play a hundred questions with the fee collectors. We sat idling and/or slow rolling for around ten minutes in the heat. Just as the line started moving and we were a couple of vehicles back, the temp light came on. We were up next and the line was moving. Wasn't likely more than two minutes with temp light on and we were through and moving. Within 30 seconds of moving, temp light went off and we stopped at the next overlook to let the bike cool down. Is this normal Rocket behavior? Is the oil shot or not a big deal?

I can imagine under the conditions it might have got warm...but yes, did the fan come on? Check the expansion tank on the left side and make sure there is some coolant in it...if not put little in til it is at the low mark. Check after riding for several days to see that the bike sucks it up into the radiator adding as necessary so the expansion tank level varies between minimum and maximum. If it's a new bike it may not have been properly prepped! Also, a new engine is tight and may run extra hot.

Don't know if the fans were on. Had my earbuds in and was probably too busy *****ing about chit chatters holding up the line. I'll pay closer attention and check the fuse box. Thanks guys.

Also, I checked the expansion tank. Full.

Back