kblahetka

Supercharged
Ride
2005 r3
Last year the water cover gasket started leaking so I replaced it and changed the coolant. It was fine after until this spring I fire her up and once running I saw leaking so I thought it was the same gasket. I replaced and still leaking when running. Upon closer inspection it looks like its coming from behind than gasket, either from where the water pump goes into the case or I can't tell if there's a pressure hole there by design. I only had a brief chance to look.

So the question is, one to remove the pump I just undo the 2 bottom bolts and slide it out? Is there any more to this? Is it likely its leaking from the O ring on the back of the pump? For those of who who have had this off, is it just a rubber or brass ring? Any thing I need to know about replacing that?

One of the bolts is a drain plug. It should have a small gasket, similar to a washer. If it doesn't, then a bit of gasket goo around the thread will work just as well.

I'll let you know. Since you did yours how hard is it to remove and is the O ring a rubber or brass ring? Any special tools needed?

Last year the water cover gasket started leaking so I replaced it and changed the coolant. It was fine after until this spring I fire her up and once running I saw leaking so I thought it was the same gasket. I replaced and still leaking when running. Upon closer inspection it looks like its coming from behind than gasket, either from where the water pump goes into the case or I can't tell if there's a pressure hole there by design. I only had a brief chance to look.

So the question is, one to remove the pump I just undo the 2 bottom bolts and slide it out? Is there any more to this? Is it likely its leaking from the O ring on the back of the pump? For those of who who have had this off, is it just a rubber or brass ring? Any thing I need to know about replacing that?
there is a weep hole on the water pump back side of the pump about 7 O'clock as it is mounted. And yes the bottom two bolts go into the block you will want to drain your oil or put the peg rails up on Jack stands so any oil in the bottom flows to the rear of the engine. It actually comes out easily. Just make sure you have the drive tang lined up when you put her back in.

there is a weep hole on the water pump back side of the pump about 7 O'clock as it is mounted. And yes the bottom two bolts go into the block you will want to drain your oil or put the peg rails up on Jack stands so any oil in the bottom flows to the rear of the engine. It actually comes out easily. Just make sure you have the drive tang lined up when you put her back in.

thanks scott What would cause it to come to it the weep hole?

I did some reading elsewhere and it looks like the pump needs to be replaced. I'm going to order through bike bandit and when its done I'll reach out to Rocket scientistso he can toy with the old one.

thanks scott What would cause it to come to it the weep hole?

most water pumps have to bushings (or bearings) they also have two seals that keep dirt and water from entering when the rear seal goes bad the water from the engine leaks out of the weep hole. if it didn"t have a weep hole the water would stay on the bushings and make it go bad faster.
if it leaks out the weep hole you have a bad water pump

Back