Water pump seal?

kblahetka

Supercharged
Ride
2005 r3
I have a 05 with about 11k miles on it. Previous owner let it sit a lot and I believe in a shed.

That said I am leaking coolant from the water pump, looks like right between the cover and pmp itself. Is it common for the seal there to quit?

It isn't a common problem. Check that the three bolts are tight. You don't have to lean on them, but they should be tight. Also check to see if it is actually leaking from one of the bolts as one of them is a drain as well and has a special little seal. If the seal is missing then some gasket goo around the threads of the bolt will fix the leak.

It isn't a common problem. Check that the three bolts are tight. You don't have to lean on them, but they should be tight. Also check to see if it is actually leaking from one of the bolts as one of them is a drain as well and has a special little seal. If the seal is missing then some gasket goo around the threads of the bolt will fix the leak.
Really? Which one is the drain as I didn't see anything on the diagram making it obvious?

Sorry, I can't remember. But if you take one out and liquid comes out, then that is the one. If it doesn't then put it back and try another one. :) ;)

If tightening them up doe snot work drop down the the auto store and pick up soem hylamar take the cover off and apply all the way around the gasket which is a skinny O-ring. then torque her back up and she should be fine.

Hi kblahetka,

When you remove the top bolt of the water pump cover you'll find a copper sealing washer on the bolt, - check to see if it is scored. When my '09 leaked from that bolt I found that the underside of the bolt head had a small, sharp protrusion (poor manufacturing) which scored the copper washer and allowed a small amount of coolant to find its way through the score mark, and thus to the great outdoors.

Mark

What is that tape used for? 2 auto parts stores have never heard of it?
If tightening them up doe snot work drop down the the auto store and pick up soem hylamar take the cover off and apply all the way around the gasket which is a skinny O-ring. then torque her back up and she should be fine.

So I tried to replace the seal today and the friggen thing kept slipping out of the groove in the cover and after a few times I ended up pinching it until it broke. Is there some majic trick to keping the seal in the groove on the cover so you can bolt it down? Some sealant?

Back