Water in Final Drive issue - How worried should we be?

Hatata

.040 Over
Ride
Triumph RocketR
So I posted a reply on the original thread talking about how water was found in my final drive. I have used a pressure washer twice in the past while the bike was hot and also have used a garden hose mostly to wash the bike while its hot as its easier to get the bugs off. Now knowing about the service bulletin I will not be doing this again... But now that water was found inside... I am worried about corrosion long term... riding in the rain... how cool should the bike really be... should I cover the breather with a hairnet when washing? Did the dealer flush the final drive out with oil until no water remained ...etc.

Will this be a huge repair bill post Warranty due to a faulty or in optimal design? What are your thoughts... worse case scenario you need new gears in the shaft how bad of an oh **** situation is that. I see that this is actually a common issue in off roader shaft driven bikes... but never seen it in a road bike. Anyone mechanically inclined that can educate us on how big of a concern this is?

I called Triumph and spoke to them and the customer service person was useless.. said he never heard of this issue.. even though there is a service bulletin . Told me "you should be fine". Dealer said... "There was some corrosion but its not a big deal.. you have been warned now about washing it so be careful"

How much water, this much?
FE8A47FF-4CAE-46F1-AE77-452785DC376C.jpeg

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.....

You should have no issues with corrosion. Don't forget that the water was mixed with 90w gear oil. There would still be a film of oil on all the metal parts. This happens often to the bottom ends of outboard motors with no issues. Flush and drive...

I was the original thread starter, you should be fine with a single flush. I had some extra fluid so I did it again. I have since washed the bike 3 times since the last fluid fill being very careful. I will drain the diff again before the winter months to see if anymore water got in. I would not loose sleep over this. It will not corrode inside, and it will not be a warrenty voiding issue unless you tell triumph that water was in your diff. The oil will obsorb any water before it starts to corrode and cause problems.

Back