...was talking tyres....

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
we had gathered at our meeting point prior to our ride yesterday and were standing around having coffee and telling lies. I mentioned to a fellow Rocket rider that i had just had to put a new tyre on the back...he looked down and said "How much for that?"...i told him its a Bridgestone Exedra max and it was 329 bucks plus fitting another 50....pretty darn good considering what you can pay for tyres i thought.
"Ive had that bridgestone on for 3 years" he said pointing to his rear tyre "and i wont have another one!"....
He went on to say it had done probably 15000 kms but it had let go when he twisted the throttle on the odd occasion and he didnt like it....the next tyre for him will be the new Metzler 888 he said.....better grip cos its a softer compound....wont last as long but he wants grip.....
So far i have had three Bridgestone Exedra max tyres on the rear of two Rockets and cannot fault them...i consistently run 42psi.....each to their own..
Had thought about the new Metz but want to see someone else try them first...

The Bridgestone is the only one that gives you extra profile, which, for the way I ride, (ie the way I rode my Rocket) is the “right” size for the Rocket. Sets the gearing just right for better pull out of corners and lower revs on the highway. Won’t be the same for everyone. The Bridgestone also has such good grip that the new Metz would need to offer demonstrably better handing to have got me back onto a 50 profile. Anyway, what I’m saying is that size is also a factor.

As an aside, one advantage with the chain drive I have on my Thruxton is that I’ve achieved a similar outcome by changing the front sprocket up one tooth. I don’t see the point of higher revs with so much torque on offer.

I too find it just right...the xtra 'lift' in profile points the bike better...the gear changes can be made exactly at the same revs..according to my ears.....everything seems to be exact...also, to get 15000 odd k's out of my last rear is hard to match with either an Avon or a Metz i think.
I have never had any slippage when accelerating thru the gears as my friend says he has had?...never felt the arse sway out even when going in a bit too hot into a corner and holding my breath...i have learnt to trust these Bridgestone Exedra Max tyres.

Last edited:
Has to be said - the 880 Metzler gripped (grips) on very very cold and slippery roads. The 888 may well be the same.
I found this out by accident and was less than comfortable riding 1/2 ton on ice.
But they wear out in the heat - Boiled mine blue only 6 months later. An expensive moment of hubris.

I have never ridden with an E-Max on ice - and have no intention of trying.
But you can get it to drift in damp corners (if you really want to).

I hate modern things like traction control - but they have their pluses.

With 60,000 plus miles i have run every combination of tires mention on this site. By far the best is the Avon Chromes. After the announcement of the recall and looking into the history of Avon and the problems with the back tire am ready to check out the Metzler 888. The company is saying that the 888's last longer and grip better. Only one way to find out.

The company is saying that the 888's last longer and grip better. Only one way to find out.
...well bloody well hurry up then!....we need to know like yesterday!...lol.
Seriously, im keen to know also Sonny as its what i heard too...they had to improve on the 880 tyre and thats for sure....some guys over here still run the metz purely for thje grip not longevity...maybe the 888 tyre will give longevity too??

With 60,000 plus miles i have run every combination of tires mention on this site. By far the best is the Avon Chromes.

@sonny I would have to agree with you there.

Personally I am ok with the recall - at least AVON have owned it and are doing something about it.

My experience with Metz hasn't been that great - in the summer heat here it seems to just tear them apart real fast, they might be just fine in a cooler climate.

@sonny I would have to agree with you there.

Personally I am ok with the recall - at least AVON have owned it and are doing something about it.

You are correct about Avon. They are going out of their way to make it right for me concerning the recall. They should have one for me by the end of next week and are setting up a dealer to handle it. I'm very impressed with Avon. I was down on BikeBandit and their slow response but I don't think it was their fault. They were in the dark for a while and as I stated before nice guys. I would use them again.

Back