Was going to buy Roadster

TheMadScientist

Supercharged
I joined this Forum a few months ago to research the Rocket. I had planned to buy a new Roadster but a used bike has caught my eye. It is a 2006 rocket 3. It has about 16,000 miles and is about $7000 cheaper than a new bike. I figure with the money I save I can customize the bike. Am I making a mistake? I am afraid of hidden problems. The bike appears in excellent shape and for the age, low miles. I looked up recalls for this year. The only thing I found was an issue with loose handle bars. I looked at other bikes, but I always come back to the Rocket. The Thunderbird Storm was to cramped and not the Rocket. Are there any issues I should be aware of? I am a week away from buying a Rocket. New or Used? Any advice is appreciated.

I was out riding the other day and met a guy telling me I would regret buying a Triumph because of reliability, so I punched him in the face. Just kidding. I think he is full of crap.

Buy the Rocket you will love it and the grin will not leave you face. :D

P.S do like eating bugs. :eek:

Go for it .. money saved will cover anything that needs doing as well as the mods to make it your own. The thing with the new Roadsters is they all look the same except for the colour of the stripe . You are kind of limited what you can do to make them different from everyones elses without spending big money on repaints etc ... end of the day buying either used or brand new you'll end up with an awesome machine.

Some early rockets had problems , and very expensive problems at that .

Some never had any problems , and many said the problems were fixed by 2006 . but yet others still had them .

Some were fixed under warranty , others were not .

So if it was me i would look for no earlier than 2008 , just to be sure , but if i could afford it , i would go the new rocket , after all

1--- The problems have been fixed now

2--- ITS A NEW BIKE .

But whichever way definetly go the rocket , the longer i have mine the more i like it

my 09 classic stock,has never given any problems,other than the winter no start thing.but thats the crap battery not the bike.i agree with an earlier post.go for an 08 or later.enjoy!

I’ve ridden both the Roadster and a Standard; in my opinion the Roadster is a much easier bike to ride with the more upright ridding position. I came off ridding Jap sports bikes.
Saying that for everyone who thinks like me there is someone else who thinks Triumph have ruined the ridding position.
I would suggest you get a good long test ride on both before you part with any hard earned. IMO.
Lastly as we all know Black ones are faster and Matt black are fastest of all.

I’ve ridden both the Roadster and a Standard; in my opinion the Roadster is a much easier bike to ride with the more upright ridding position. I came off ridding Jap sports bikes.
Saying that for everyone who thinks like me there is someone else who thinks Triumph have ruined the ridding position.
I would suggest you get a good long test ride on both before you part with any hard earned. IMO.
Lastly as we all know Black ones are faster and Matt black are fastest of all.

G'day Paul, how you going, was thinking of you just yesterday that I hadn't seen a post from you for a while.:D
Oh! I couldn't agree more....

I joined this Forum a few months ago to research the Rocket. I had planned to buy a new Roadster but a used bike has caught my eye. It is a 2006 rocket 3. It has about 16,000 miles and is about $7000 cheaper than a new bike. I figure with the money I save I can customize the bike. Am I making a mistake? I am afraid of hidden problems. The bike appears in excellent shape and for the age, low miles. I looked up recalls for this year. The only thing I found was an issue with loose handle bars. I looked at other bikes, but I always come back to the Rocket. The Thunderbird Storm was to cramped and not the Rocket. Are there any issues I should be aware of? I am a week away from buying a Rocket. New or Used? Any advice is appreciated.

I was out riding the other day and met a guy telling me I would regret buying a Triumph because of reliability, so I punched him in the face. Just kidding. I think he is full of crap.

As with any brand and/or model, the Rocket has its own set of quirks. My '06 has been very reliable all its 48K+ miles.

The main weakness in an '06 model (10 or earlier models really) is the ignition switch. The headlight circuit passes the full load through the switch and will eventually cause it to fail. There is a kit available that bypasses the load and makes the lights run directly off the battery. You get a protected ignition switch and amazingly bright headlights. The kit is from Eastern Beaver (www.easternbeaver.com) and Jim (a Canadian living in Japan) has a Triumph specific page. For an '06 it is practically a mandatory investment. Less than $80 for peace of mind.

There are other mods that you can do for safety reasons (horns, a must-do) and for power (triple K&N's, TuneECU, etc.). A recent mod that should be done to all Rockets is to increase the size of the negative battery cable. There's also a starter mod for those of us in colder climates. The list goes on.

I've been very happy with my '06 and I think that you will be too, especially with all the money that you save.

Back