Warranty End & Oil Change Saga

Rocket727

.020 Over
The warranty ended on my 06 Rocket yesterday and I did my first (DIY) oil change Friday (two years and 9,136 miles) . I wanted the dealer to do the others during the warranty period just so there would be no finger pointing if something went wrong. I think oil changes have been previously discussed but I'll pass on my experience. I used the R3 service manual and followed it verbatim including specified torque settings. BTW, I had exactly three (3) liters of 4t -15 W40 left from the previous dealer oil change, which they would have kept had I not asked for it. That's almost $45 worth of oil.
The following is the sequence with some bewilderment:

Purchased 4 more liters of the 15W40 and R3 filter at Raleigh, NC Triumph dealer @$73.61
Started bike and ran until fan came on. Engine was good and warm.
Steadied the bike level on bike jack, leaving all drain plugs accessible.
Removed and reinstalled, after completely draining oil, the three drain plugs one at a time, per the manual. Tilted bike fore and aft gently to make sure oil was drained and visually checked that tank was empty..
(Didn't change my crush washers this time but I will next change)
Removed the old and installed the new R3 oil filter.
Filled the oil tank to max mark. Took exactly three (3) liters.
Hmmmm..manual says you should have to add at least 1-1.5 liters after running engine. That only comes to 4.5 liters. What about the 5.4 liters it's supposed to take for an oil and filter change???
Called the Raleigh service department and asked about this discrepancy. He gave me a wishy- washy answer but said run the engine till the tank is empty and add two liters then ride the bike for about ten minutes and check the dip-stick with the bike idling and level. He said I should have to add a little more oil, maybe as much as .4 liter which checks with the book.
Did all of that and checked the level after riding it and it showed above the fulll mark with just 5 liters. No matter how I check the oil, it is about 1/4" above the max mark on the dip-stick. That is with a total of 5 liters.
This obviously is what the dealer in Roxboro, NC (where I bought the bike) did on the previous oil change. That's why I had exactly three liters left in the 4 liter container. He used 4 plus 1 for a total of 5 liters and my oil level has been checking 1/4"above the max mark.
The unanswered questions:

Why does the service manual say you should have to add 1-1.5 liters after running the engine when that's no where near 5.4 liters.??
Why does the dip-stick read 1/4'' too much with just 5 liters??
Which is right , the 5.4 liters or the dip-stick??
Why do you get different answers from different Triumph dealers??
Does it hurt to have the oil a little above the dip-stick or maybe if the dip-stick is wrong do I actually have enough oil ??

BTW, this isn't my first experience with oil level problems. My 03 ToyotaTundra manual calls for 6.5 quarts for an oil and filter change but it takes 7.1 to bring it to the upper mark. My dealer agrees and says it's that way for all Tundras but I've never been able to get a service bulletin out of the dealer or Toyota.

Anyway, that's my R3 oil change.

The Rocket is different as it has a separate oil tank (known as a dry sump) and doesn't keep the oil in the crankcase like your Toyota. So it won't hurt to be a little high or low. I just changed mine last weekend. I had to add quiet a bit after starting it for the first time. I check the oil per the service manaual: run the bike for about 2 mins, shut it off, then on a level surface, with the bike upright off the kickstand, check the level. If it is within the marks on the dip stick you're good as gold.

If you haven't changed the oil in the rear drive, you might want to do that also.

Last edited:
Thanks Pig9r,

I understand about the sump and, as indicated above, I have checked the oil after shutdown, idling, etc. No matter how I check the oil, it is still 1/4" above the mark with only 5 liters instead of what the manual says (5.4). That coincides with the amount of oil that I got back from the dealer after the last oil change which was exactly 3 liters. That most likely means they opened two containers, using 4 plus 1 out of the second container leaving 3.

My point in the post is questioning the accuracy of the manual . Three liters in the tank brings it to the full mark so, at a minimum, it is misleading when it states that you should have to add 1-1.5 liters when it should state that you should have to add at least 2 liters after running the engine based on the 5.4 needed. Nearly half a liter is
is quite a bit.

I'm curious if anyone else is using this amount or is it taking the 5.4 as the manual indicates. If it's only taking 5 liters for an oil change, then Triumph should amend the manual with an SB.

I've change mine twice & use "6 US quarts" each time & have had no problem with it. 6 US quarts = 5.67 Liters. Manual says 5.1 liter w/o filter change, 5.4 liter with filter change.

5.67 - 5.4 = .27 liter extra, which is slightly over the full mark. I'm content, as Pig9r stated, to run slightly over recommended capacity.

.27 liter = 9.13 ounces = slightly over 1/4 qt (1 cup). I like the "reserve" oil approach.

See ya.

Rocket727, I'll have reread to get a best gathering of what you've said.

What is the issue? Because full indicates a smidgen above the upper mark? Pig9r already answered that. I change with 5.4 quarts of Amsoil every time. I run Amsoil in the rear as well. And a Scotts Filter. Never needs replacing! And for your sensual pleasures it has ribs :D Which by the way, like an air cooled engine, the concept of greater surface cooling of finned jugs, is employed with a Scotts .

BTW, Scotts Filters are U.S. made

Last edited:
A quart of Amsoil for the rear will allow me to change every 8k, several times, and not worry at all.

Amsoil engine oil is good, as advertised, 10k. I change at 8 and see the viscosity and clarity of the drained oil is sufficient to reuse it in my lawn machinery for a season.

And, I have no reservations about adding an emergency two or three quarts of it to the idiot neighbor that's trying to kill her cage.

Last edited:
The Rocket is different as it has a separate oil tank (known as a dry sump) and doesn't keep the oil in the crankcase like your Toyota. So it won't hurt to be a little high or low. I just changed mine last weekend. I had to add quiet a bit after starting it for the first time. I check the oil per the service manaual: run the bike for about 2 mins, shut it off, then on a level surface, with the bike upright off the kickstand, check the level. If it is within the marks on the dip stick you're good as gold.

If you haven't changed the oil in the rear drive, you might want to do that also.

Be very careful with the rear diff plugs, some horror storys have been writen regarding the fill hole plug shearing. :eek:

Valve Clearance

Hey R727,
did the interval on the valve clearance check change with the 06 Rocket? I had mine (on my 05) done at 10K... reason I ask is you mentioned the Raleigh dealer (as your oil supplier), but didn't say anything about checking your clearances (for your 10K). As it happens, my dealer lost his dealership this year, and I'm having to try a new one... and I have an appt at the very same Raleigh dealer you mentioned for my 20K service. He was scheduling in the valve clearance check for that when I reminded him that it was done at 10K. Wondering if it changed after the first production year, or if something's amiss at the Raleigh dealer? Hoping the trip I'm making will be worth it...
ride on :eek:

HeR3tic,

The issue is that my oil change required only 5 liters of oil instead of the 5.4 that the manual states that you need for an oil and filter change. Just the 5 liters put my oil level approximately 1/4 inch above the max mark. If I had used 5.4 liters it would have been very high above the maximum mark. The max mark is there for a reason. If you read my post carefully, you will see that I drained the oil thoroughly and am puzzled that I only needed 5 liters. It seems to match what the dealer used before since I got back exactly 3 liters of unused oil. That's why I'm looking for feed back from other owners. Thanks for yours!

Greenbaron,

My warranty has expired and I am still 900 miles from the 10,00 mile check. I've got some doubts about a valve clearance check at 10K especially since hardly anyone has found valve clearance problems at the 10K check. I would also bet that if you had five different mechanics check the clearances, you would get five different readings. I'm going to talk to my dealer to see what they have found on the Rockets so far and will make a decision before I reach the 10K. My bike has really run well so far and I dread screwing with it.
There is nothing that I have found that says my 06 has any different valve check schedule. Hope that answers your question. Are you located in the RDU area?

no, it's quite a cruise for me. but the closest dealer i could come up with (well, greensboro is closer, but i've been there and want to try raleigh this time)
it's a 4.5 hour ride for me, but c'est la vie.
certainly agree with you about different mechanics tweaking to different endpoints... i'm no mc mechanic tho', all i can do is 'try' to trust! was comfortable with the service i was getting, such as it was. now i'm starting over... i did not have any issues with the perf prior to my 10K service, nor after. i may not be as discriminating as some here tho' :confused: or not :confused::confused:

Back