Warped Front Rotors?

RKTNMYPKT

Village Idiot
Ride
2021 HD RoadGlide
I've recently started having some trouble with my front brakes, I took my bike to the dealer this morning, the tech took it for a test ride, said my front rotors are warped, he also said it was very rare to have a bike with only 20k miles have warped rotors, in fact he said this is the first time he has seen this. :confused:
Here is the cost to fix it according to the dealer

Rotors: $598.12 ( For both)
Pads: $123.95
Disc bolts: $78.00
Labor: $167.00
Total : $1037.00 + tax :eek::eek:

Can anybody think of anything else that could cause create these symptoms without it being the rotors? Maybe one of my rotors are loose and needs to be re torqued?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Jim

Unusual on the Rockets ... they have really thick discs/rotors. Maybe the Tourers are fitted with a different type of disc . Perhaps see if you can have the discs off a Standard or Roadster fitted if they are in fact a different thickness and will fit.

The parts I mentioned are for a standard, don't know if they fit the Touring.
Can't comment on other causes, other than
I doubt rotor bolts were loose, as the vibration would be horrendous.

I can only say that for what they are charging,
you could put on Galfer wave rotors for the same money:
Galfer Triumph Rocket III Front Wave Brake Rotor Set 04-09 - Tobefast

And Galfer Pads for ALOT less:
Galfer Triumph Rocket III Front Compound Brake Pads 04-09 - Tobefast

If you are not a doityourselfer find a bike shop that's install your parts.
I did this work myself and reused the rotor bolts with locktite.
It's an easy job,

BGentrys Rocket was actually parked at the same dealer having the detent spring replaced, I checked out the rotors on his bike, They looked the same to me :confused:

(I was gonna swap them but I didnt have any tools! :D )

Maybe if I can determine the torque settings I'll loosen them and re torque them, I really dont have the $1000.00 to spend on something that I'm not 100% sure is the problem.

On the paper work the tech wrote.."It seems like it could be the rotors" He never actually removed the rotors and put a dial indicator on them.

Alternatively you could try to find a motorcycle wrecker with a workshop and get them to do it. I started working at such a place this week and they'd be doing a job like that for a fraction of that cost. If they didn't have any rotors they find some and get them in o'nite. The only new parts would be pads (if you needed them) and everything else would be good as new.

On the paper work the tech wrote.."It seems like it could be the rotors" He never actually removed the rotors and put a dial indicator on them.

"Could be...???"

Be interesting to hear your opinions after you spend this money if you still have the same problem.

With that distance travelled, can't see that they'd be warped except in some extreme usage.

Reckon I'd be getting 'em checked properly for runout first...????

"Could be...???"

Be interesting to hear your opinions after you spend this money if you still have the same problem.

With that distance travelled, can't see that they'd be warped except in some extreme usage.

Reckon I'd be getting 'em checked properly for runout first...????

My thoughts exactly! The shop charged me 1/2 hr labor to do a quick evaluation of the bike, anything more and I have to pay the labor charges. I asked them if they would deduct the evaluation charges from the cost of the repair, and they would not......

I havent ridden my bike in close to 5 months due to an injury, and now after a dozen or so rides the rotors are warped :confused:

It just doesnt make sense.......

Lupe been around your bike???
you might have harley rotors on it now...;)
Just kiddin' Jim,
Honestly, that sounds bogus to me.
The tech didn't mic em and said it "might be" the problem.
they'd have to get red hot to warp.
If you got brake pads left, they ain't been red hot.
I'd take it somewhere else.
You said you recently started having trouble with your front brakes.
What exactly?
not working, slipping when you apply pressure,
a metal on metal sound as the wheel goes round?
what exactly makes you think something is wrong,
could be something as simple as old bad fluid, or a bubble,
without some details it's kinda hard to tell,
but I'm saying the rotors "might NOT be" the problem.
I'm still blaming it on Lupe till we find out where he was when it started acting up...:D;)

Back