Warning - Viking Bags

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
About three and a half months ago I ordered a set of bags from Viking Bags after confirming with their customer service that they would fit the "unique" setup of the Rocket. They seemed very helpful in answering my questions about the bags and fitment, as well as detailing how to get them shipped to limit or avoid the customs brokerage fee on arrival.

When the bags finally showed up, I was assessed a $70 brokerage fee because despite my request in the order, they sent them via ground, resulting in the highest fee possible. I complained to the company about this and was told that just because they could send them differently so that I wouldn't have to pay that, it would mean more effort on their end so that's why they didn't. To make it right, they said if I sent them a picture of the bags on the bike they would send me a tailbag worth about $40. This offer came at about the same time as an automated email saying that anyone buying bags that sent in a picture get that bag.

I got the bags home and test fitted them to the bike. Not even close. The convenient shock cut-out was right where the mounting bracket needed to bolt on, and moving it up and forward enough to allow for mounting had the top above the passenger seat and about 5" of the bag coming forward into the drivers seat.

Complaint number 2 to the company. After over a month of emails where they said that I could ship them back and pay a restocking fee and end up out of pocket for about $140 all told, I finally got someone on the phone. The conversation was about 30 minutes long, and the rep agreed to refund half of the brokerage fee, one way shipping for the return of the bags, send a different pair and refund the difference. They would send the new bags properly so that I would not be paying out of pocket again. This would be a refund of $95, $50 of which I had to pay out in advance to ship the bags back. I asked for an email confirming the details of the conversation and was told I would get it that day but nothing ever arrived.

2 weeks ago the new bags finally landed, along with a $20 brokerage fee that I had to pay again. Shortly after I got an email stating that they had refunded me $45. I sent an inquiry as to when I could expect to see the other $70 (remainder plus second brokerage) and was told it would be in my account within 4 days. This refund never surfaced and the following email stated that they never agreed to any such refund.

Trying to mount the bags, the brackets included barely fit, but did involve cutting part of the liner out of the inside of the bag to make room for the bolts and redrilling the brackets as they were not finished properly. The other hardware in the mounting kit was surprisingly also wrong. The bolts were far too short and the wrong thread. I have since ordered a set of Easy Brackets just so that I can finally get the bags mounted.
Another email was sent, again asking for the remainder of the refund and recommending that they double check their fitment guidelines as they must have the wrong specs for the Rocket.

Within 15 minutes of that email my phone rang. I was informed that the owner of the company had decided that the issue was closed and if I wanted to see any more refund from them I would have to pursue legal action. He stated that they knew that suing them would cost me more than the remainder of my refund and therefore I would drop it. When I questioned how a company could treat customers like this he said flat out "Maybe your standards are just a little too high." I asked if he were in my situation if he would find this reasonable, at which point he hung up on me.

I intend to post this to every club and riders forum I can find to warn people away from this company, as well as to the Los Angeles BBB and any consumer watchdogs I can find in their local media. My hope is to cost them at least 100 times the $70 that they decided was so important to them, and to give them that value back again in bad press. This is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. I can't speak to the quality of the bags, they're still not mounted.

**This situation has been resolved by the new people at Viking, see page 5 for details**

If only they realised the potential value of a good word on a forum like this. It would have been the best $70 they ever spent.

Excellent write-up detail, you've sold me on not doing business with them and spreading the word their customer service is for sh!t. Thanks for the tip.

Agreed, I always pay by credit card when dealing with a company I am not familiar with or have not done business with before........then I can dispute the charges and let the card company fight for me and boy to they ever!!!!!! Also Thanks for posting......if you would like to email them thanking them for showing you how inept they were saved ALOT of headaches from your freinds that will never use their service and any friend that they have!!!!...Did that makes sense??!! LOL Thanks again! ;)

mutt

ill never do buisness with them either f$#k em
ill tell every one i know when they want bags stay away from those ripoff wankers:cool:

Agreed, I always pay by credit card when dealing with a company I am not familiar with or have not done business with before........then I can dispute the charges and let the card company fight for me and boy to they ever!!!!!! Also Thanks for posting......if you would like to email them thanking them for showing you how inept they were saved ALOT of headaches from your freinds that will never use their service and any friend that they have!!!!...Did that makes sense??!! LOL Thanks again! ;)

mutt

Looks like they've blocked me, but if you want to thank them personally, email support@vikingbags.com
I'm Travis from Calgary, and you can be pretty sure they will know who you're talking about.:rolleyes:

Back