Volume of coolant overflow tank & relocating

speedfrk

.060 Over
Can anyone tell me the exact volume of the coolant overflow tank in ounces? I'm looking for options to replace my stock tank with pretty piece to go with my K&N tri-filter setup. Is there any problem temporarily relocating the overflow tank to where the air box assembly was? It seems as if the tank was there it would be lower than the radiator instead of higher. I think I've read here where folks have done this.

It is a recovery tank.

Exact volume doesn't matter 1 pint to 1 quart will work well.
Location doesn't matter, it is a pressure/vacuum thing.
You can mount it to the radiator, or under the rear seat/side cover. All have worked well for me.

I hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me the exact volume of the coolant overflow tank in ounces? I'm looking for options to replace my stock tank with pretty piece to go with my K&N tri-filter setup. Is there any problem temporarily relocating the overflow tank to where the air box assembly was? It seems as if the tank was there it would be lower than the radiator instead of higher. I think I've read here where folks have done this.

having it under the seat seems like a bad idea because. like sitting on top of a pressure cooker. when the engine gets hot the excess water goes into the tank. my best guess it would be about 195 degrees . seem to me it might be good it the winter but hell in the summer.
just my opinion. someone might have tried it.
herman

Yes, many of us have moved the tank under the seat or side cover without issue.

The only time the tank will get hot coolant from the radiator is if it overheats or if the cap spring or seal fails.

Hey Wayne, if you mount the tank in a lower location such as the airbox, how do you keep from having an air bubble trapped in the line?

I have my Weapon-R tank mounted to the front engine guard and use a clear tube to connect to the radiator. Before I mount it, I have to raise the tank above the radiator outlet in order to get all of the air out of the line. I can then lower the tank into position and the resulting vacuum keeps the radiator full.

Unfortunately, I have to repeat this process about once every 4-6 months as eventually some air gets into the line and makes its way in between the coolant in the radiator and coolant in the tank. As the engine cools after shutdown, the air pocket is ingested into the radiator making it not completely full.

I haven't had any problems but I don't like the idea of the radiator not starting the day completely full of coolant. Others should be aware of that as well.

Put a loop in the hose from the radiator cap neck to the reservoir.

Under normal conditions, the system pressure should not exceed the 1.1bar of the stock radiator cap. If it does, coolant will leak into the line. A loop in the line will keep coolant in the line much like the trap in the drain of a sink.

If the engine is ingesting air, this means that it is losing coolant somewhere. If the cap is regularly leaking coolant into the reservoir, you need a new cap. The caps are all made by KTM and are known to be flakey at best across the Triumph range. You can usually go to the local Auto parts shop and get a STand brand replacement. Just make sure to get one market 16 psi or 1.1 bar.

Mine's under the seat. No heat issues at all. Just swap the hoses over so the short one becomes your overflow (you can add a longer piece later if you want). Whole job takes about 2 minutes, most of which is getting a piece of foam or something else wedged in to keep it upright.

As you may recall the link to thread of the bigger filter I sent you the other day in hat thread you may have seen I used a Catch can it holds about a litre and is ample big enough I used a worm drive hose clamp to fix it to my engine bar and have no problems checking it and it also fills the remaining gap left when you remove the original to fit the larger filters

Jegs has some good looking polished, stainless steel, 2" tanks that fill/drain from the bottom and come in capacities between 18-26 ounces. So I'm thinking the 26 ounce one might be best for a safety factor, but the 18 ounce will be noticably shorter. I just need to find the best mounting point when I get my bike back. When my girl returns home the stock tank will be under the seat until I decide where and what I want.

Back