Voltage Regulator

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I posted the other day about Alternator output. Got that info. ( 60 VAC) . After chasing around trying to figure out what is going on I believe I have the nasty piece ID'ed . The Voltage regulator should have the output to the battery at above 13.5 @ 2500+ Rpm then at 5000 RPM no more than 14.8. Mine is 13.39 at the 5K mark. Tried to do a diode check. All looked OK . The checked with the tec-rep rep at ElectroSport .
Turns out that our regulators are the new type, and have extra circuits in them , and you can not do the old style diode check. My battery is charging , and will check the Alternator output to be sure the stator is still good.
Question. With the crappy location for theses regulators , do many go out???

Don't know the answer to your question, but I've seen some strange numbers from mine. I have a Scangauge mounted and the OBD2 connection shows voltage readings jumping from around 12.5 all the way up to over 15. The battery is fully charged and the readings will move around at a steady RPM reading just cruising down the road. Been doing that for quite some time so I'm not sure what to make of it. Moved the Scangauge to another vehicle to make sure it wasn't a problem and of course it read a steady 14 or so.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I've seen some strange numbers from mine. I have a Scangauge mounted and the OBD2 connection shows voltage readings jumping from around 12.5 all the way up to over 15. The battery is fully charged and the readings will move around at a steady RPM reading just cruising down the road. Been doing that for quite some time so I'm not sure what to make of it. Moved the Scangauge to another vehicle to make sure it wasn't a problem and of course it read a steady 14 or so.
Problem with Voltage regulators is that you are not sure they are bad until your sitting by the road. Moto Guzzi gave me fits. Ended up going to a Harley regulator. Heat is the biggest killer of them. The rocket regulatorsit right behind the engine w/o much air movement.

I just checked my stator and it putting out what it is suppose to. Can only be the regulator.

Other than funky readings, are you having symptoms of a problem. Like I guess a discharged battery?

If I'm not riding for a couple of weeks or more I put mine on a charger, but otherwise it seems to be holding a charge. I've suspected by regulator could be a problem given the wild swing in reading, but since those are ECU reported readings I'm not sure how reliable they are. Right now, having sat for just about 10 days voltage reads 11.7 without the engine running.

I figured in the battery. It was at 13.25 when I started. I wanted a full charge battery. Also changed out a battery from a Honda 1800 just be sure. I was really trying to eliminate the regulator, but all the tests kept coming back to it.

Im on my second reg now, have no idea what has caused my issue, my battery is fine, tested the output on the stator and it gives anywhere between 45v AC, and 75v Ac at revs, no earth leakage at all, so has to be bad reg, and yeh you only find out there bad once you stop on the side of the road. I have since changed it out for a higher amp unit, and mounted it where the horn was, seems to be fine there with heaps of air flow now, but now after riding for an hour or so the ABS light came on, Waiting for my cable to check the codes, will update later on how it goes.

Back