Visualize the line to take...

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
“Visualize the curve”. That is what Keith Code wrote in one of his articles a few years back on riding safely. He said that many bikers simply look at a curve and do not visualize their best line in it. Well, on today’s ride to work, I discovered the value of looking at the curve and not just visualizing my line.

I ride this curve five times a week going to work; it is on an elevated off ramp and extremely fun to take at 40 MPH over the posted limit of 45 MPH (Don’t hate me, I have few pleasures in life these days it seems). One cannot see what is on the other side of the hill nor around the curve until you are there. It is quite wide though giving the rider ample area to maneuver in the event a car is broken down on either side.

Today, as I was visualizing the curves to and on top of the hump and associated downhill curve on the other side, I chose my normal line as I held a steady speed. As I rolled from one curve into the next and approached the top, something caught my eye ahead; a wounded dog. My first thought was this German Sheppard had wondered up the ramp from who knows where and had been hit by a previous driver. Knowing what it is like to hit an animal this size at roughly 45 MPH (reference hitting a fawn on my FZ1 on another off ramp in Virginia), I knew I might be screwed in a split second.

I rolled the throttle back to idle and veered to the left of the dog on my inside line of the right hand curve. Flashbacks of the deer strike came to mind immediately but left when I noticed construction debris to the left (outside area) of the curve; 2X4s, twisted metal frames etc…; and a lot of it. The dog was limping and moving slowly so I determined not a threat, but to avoid the debris, I had to veer close by him. As I passed the scene, I saw two men walking up the hill towards the dog and debris with a work truck in reverse on the shoulder. My guess is they too were driving too fast for the ramp and lost their load; maybe even the dog.

I believe I was down to 50ish MPH as I passed them, all in about 150 meters of time.

So, back to riding safely and mitigating risk when being a speed demon; visualize the line of the next curve, but never forget to look at it…

Glad you're Ok Boog. I had a big scare yesterday that I don't even know how to describe how i got into the situation I was in......
After so many years of riding mountain bikes (2 brake levers on the bars - Right = rear - Left = front)
All I can say is I'm STILL trying to get used to the fact that my Right hand Brake lever is NOT THE F'N rear brake..............
riding on the front tire @ 60mph coming off of an unexpected "dropoff/hump/dip" WTFever it was while "gently" squeezing that d@mn right hand lever that is NOT a rear brake - fork (with f'n standard springs, but not for long NOW) sunk to bottom, tire wobbling right, left, right, left, right, left and... AHHHHHH finally straight again - WHEW! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Trying to picture this aren't ya?????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know it's not my mad skills that saved me, but probably the weight of THE REST OF THE BIKE thats not the front tire!!!!! :whitstling:
Oh, and the Grace of God & my guardian angels working overtime :notworthy:
Thank you Lord :inlove

Visualizing is great in theory, but your story proves paying attention is key. I was told years ago to look as far into the turn as possible all the way through the turn. The natural line will follow. Super glad the outcome was a success.

I've found the need to adjust my line by a few feet many times at speed, as an on coming cage covered or crossed the centerline on the inside of my lane. How long did it take to pry the seat off your butt?

Visualizing is great in theory, but your story proves paying attention is key. I was told years ago to look as far into the turn as possible all the way through the turn. The natural line will follow. Super glad the outcome was a success.

I've found the need to adjust my line by a few feet many times at speed, as an on coming cage covered or crossed the centerline on the inside of my lane. How long did it take to pry the seat off your butt?

This one was not a major pucker for me. There is a lot of room to maneuver unlike the day I hit Bambi. I did not see a canine corpse the following day and all the debris was gone. One of the guys was moving quickly towards the dog leading me to think it was part of the load. Or maybe the driver served to miss the dog and lost the load that way. I will never know but it is good to see the dog was removed and hopefully taken to a Veterinarian.

Glad to hear your ok Boog, I'm always amazed at how fast we can think and take in our surroundings when we have to ;)

RJ

Glad you're Ok Boog. I had a big scare yesterday that I don't even know how to describe how i got into the situation I was in......
After so many years of riding mountain bikes (2 brake levers on the bars - Right = rear - Left = front)
All I can say is I'm STILL trying to get used to the fact that my Right hand Brake lever is NOT THE F'N rear brake..............
riding on the front tire @ 60mph coming off of an unexpected "dropoff/hump/dip" WTFever it was while "gently" squeezing that d@mn right hand lever that is NOT a rear brake - fork (with f'n standard springs, but not for long NOW) sunk to bottom, tire wobbling right, left, right, left, right, left and... AHHHHHH finally straight again - WHEW! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Trying to picture this aren't ya?????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know it's not my mad skills that saved me, but probably the weight of THE REST OF THE BIKE thats not the front tire!!!!! :whitstling:
Oh, and the Grace of God & my guardian angels working overtime :notworthy:
Thank you Lord :inlove
Glad Boog is ok as well. On mountain bikes, the first thing I do is flip flop the brake lever assemblies.

Glad Boog is ok as well. On mountain bikes, the first thing I do is flip flop the brake lever assemblies.

Ha ha ha, yea, I've thought about that. Problem is, I've been riding mountain bikes since 1988, pre suspension, pre click shift....... My brain can not be untrained :( :( :(

“Visualize the curve”. That is what Keith Code wrote in one of his articles a few years back on riding safely. He said that many bikers simply look at a curve and do not visualize their best line in it. Well, on today’s ride to work, I discovered the value of looking at the curve and not just visualizing my line.
Ages ago ( I don't think I was even 21) I was given advice by an old Pre-WW2 TEAM RIDER for Ariel M/C. He was our chimney sweep. He'd given up racing as his team mate (and brother) was killed in action.

He said "ride looking at the spot you'll stop at if you HAVE to brake".

Has served me well - Dogs, footballs, idiots, cow poo. We have a "biker run" road just behind our house - loads of "I've done Track Day" riders hit things not found on "visualise the curve" safe tracks. Cats generally. The odd dog and even hikers. So bad the buggers put a speed limit on the curves and patrol by Helicopter.

If you can't stop in the distance you see then you are going too fast. You MUST be able to stop and maneuver or you will get hurt one day. Most curved roads don't have a little man from the village waving a flag to warn you if there is a problem past your field of vision - unlike on race tracks.

Back