Visiting Brisbane etc in June-July

Well there is lots to see if you are a first time visitor, we have the barrier reef which you can visit from further up the coast. Fraser Island is accessible from Hervey Bay The sunshine coast and the Gold Coast if you like that sort of thing. There are a lot of Rain Forest areas quite close to Brisbane Mt. Tamborine, O'Reilly's Rainforest is accessed from the small town of Canungra only 60 km South of Brisbane, lots to see up there that is a must see the mountain parrots land on your head and shoulders to eat the seeds and nuts they sell at the shop at the top of the mountain. Are you going to hire a car or bike? Some very scenic routes you can take to places like Kyogle via Lyons Road - don't forget we drive/ride on the other side of the road here - it takes some getting used to, so take care, some folks from the US have had bad accidents trying to make the change.

I can pm you a lot of links if you are keen.

Last edited:
Opinions of our down under members: what absolutely must I see/do in Queensland in June/July? We've got three weeks plus a bit, as yet unplanned except airfare. Thanks for the replies!
Might be able to arrange a ride through our local mountains If I still have a spare bike you would be welcome to use it for the trip.

If ya take up Mittzys offer I will join in for the ride........ within 2 hours of Central Brisbane ya have at least 12 or more mountain rides that have great views and cafes etc. Even if ya use a car still be glad to show you around, sunshine coast beaches are worth the trip, Gold Coast is not too bad but very populated..... we got lime scooters here ya can hire in the city and run around on go for a trip around the city and see some really nice old buildings restored if ya into that stuff, remember anything with wheels here needs to be wearing a helmet (other than a car) big $450 fine if ya don't.

Well there is lots to see if you are a first time visitor, we have the barrier reef which you can visit from further up the coast. Fraser Island is accessible from Hervey Bay The sunshine coast and the Gold Coast if you like that sort of thing. There are a lot of Rain Forest areas quite close to Brisbane Mt. Tamborine, O'Reilly's Rainforest is accessed from the small town of Canungra only 60 km South of Brisbane, lots to see up there that is a must see the mountain parrots land on your head and shoulders to eat the seeds and nuts they sell at the shop at the top of the mountain. Are you going to hire a car or bike? Some very scenic routes you can take to places like Kyogle via Lyons Road - don't forget we drive/ride on the other side of the road here - it takes some getting used to, so take care, some folks from the US have had bad accidents trying to make the change.

I can pm you a lot of links if you are keen.
Thanks! Our trip is beginning to take shape. Brother-in-law thinks a road trip up the coast from Brisbane to Cairns will be not much fun. We're thinking flying up to Cairns right off to enjoy what Northern Queensland has to offer- brother-in-law and his family will be joining us for that part of our holiday. School gets out just at the start of our trip, summer vacation for us in the US and winter holiday there for you.

That driving on the other side of the road has the better-half concerned. She'd like me to remain a passenger seat whenever possible! Thinks it's just too dangerous (she doesn't much like riding pillion, either).

After the first week, some time around Noosa, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. B-I-L is a passionate fisherman, and so are his kids. Ten weeks and 5 days until our flights!

Might be able to arrange a ride through our local mountains If I still have a spare bike you would be welcome to use it for the trip.
Mittzy, sir, you would not believe how outstanding that would be! Not only to meet a fellow Rocketeer down under, but to do any bit of riding while there! I've only met a couple Rocket owners here in the States, and no R3 members as of yet.
Even if you don't have a second bike, could you recommend a rental source around Brisbane?

If ya take up Mittzys offer I will join in for the ride........ within 2 hours of Central Brisbane ya have at least 12 or more mountain rides that have great views and cafes etc. Even if ya use a car still be glad to show you around, sunshine coast beaches are worth the trip, Gold Coast is not too bad but very populated..... we got lime scooters here ya can hire in the city and run around on go for a trip around the city and see some really nice old buildings restored if ya into that stuff, remember anything with wheels here needs to be wearing a helmet (other than a car) big $450 fine if ya don't.
That would be outstanding!

I do not like to envy others but I sure do you BA for being able to visit Oz. It's a lifelong buck list item for me.
Mike, I think you've done a lot more traveling than I, so I am also a wee bit envious. Having the benefit of family living in Australia, we found an unbelievable price round-tripping from Boston.

Hope you're doing well.

Back