VIDEO | Ran accross this accident on freeway this memorial day weekend | Tell me your thoughts

Memorial Day weekend has the highest fatality rate of any holiday. I remember as a kid growing up in the 50's Memorial Day was death day on the highways.The numbers reached well into the hundreds plus. The deadliest holiday for car accidents
Yeah my chest got a little twisted seeing a fellow rider laying on the pavement like that, then later finding out that a drunk driver ran into him...Still cooling off

I started wearing a camera last year. Sena Prism Tube is an inexpensive camera that comes with all the mounts for a helmet or fixed for $120.00. Still not sure I want to get too deep into Vlogging, but it is cool to play with.

I like the guy on the bike that stopped. I think he did it right. Good questions and video.

I would have wanted to get off my bike. Take off my helmet and smack the guy up side the head with it.

The unfortunate incident for the HD owner. Hopefully he's ok.

If there's any justice the drunk will get a felony attempted vehicular manslaughter charge to go with his DUI, Tailgating, too fast for conditions, reckless driving, and fleeing the scene of an accident charges!

What would you do if you saw all this happening? I was impressed with the few people trying to help but also disgusted with how many people just drove on by. Let me know what you guys think.
If I was one of the first passing - I'd STOP. I always do - car or bike. But if there are already a few vehicles stopped - all that stopping will do is jam the highway.

Also you'd have to think whether you can ACTUALLY help (other than emotionally) or just get in the way of folk who can. I don't for example even carry a mobile phone. I am not skilled at first aid. I am a psychopath so deal well with stress and can manage situations.

I don't have any problem at all with the people driving by. That is what they are supposed to do. There is an officer attending to the injured. The best thing all the other drivers can do is keep moving around safely at a reasonable speed. There were what, 5-6 people besides the officer already helping? How many more should there be? Five? Ten? Every single passing driver?

Traffic jams can also be unsafe. Someone a ways back could be on the way to the doctor or hospital. The last thing they need is the road clogging up with people trying to be helpful.

If you really think you can help and it looks like it's needed, by all means follow your conscience and try to help. But I wouldn't be so hard on the people driving by. Keeping the road moving is also helping.

Totally agree, if there are already Good Samaritans on scene keep moving....unless you a particular skill set that's clearly needed e.g. First Aid, Firefighting if there's a fire etc.

TBH, I wouldn't even want an untrained random doing first aid on me if I was unconscious, it's very easy to do more damage accidentally. On the other hand, if I was awake but badly injured, I'd very much want a random to help so I could guide them through trauma response.

I would encourage all bikers to go to a training coarse. they teach only to remove helmet if the injured is not breathing. and how to remove the helmet. also never do chest compression on a downed rider.
yes i would stop because even with my one coarse i could make sure they don't kill him before some one gets there that knows what they r doing. just because a bunch of cage drivers r stopping don' mean they can help. plus your buddies might need your help.

What would you do if you saw all this happening? I was impressed with the few people trying to help but also disgusted with how many people just drove on by. Let me know what you guys think.
As others have said, there's a trooper/cop there already, which means an ambulance is on its way. Unless the victim/bystander ratio is less than 1:1, no need for more people to stop and muddle things up more. That just ties up more traffic and creates the potential for more collisions. Also, standing on the highway is more dangerous than people realize (well, most people). Fire trucks purposely park across lanes in front of scenes like that to act as a barrier for the responders working in the road. Adding people who don't have the awareness to stand on the side of a road is bad.

As for CPR, if they don't have a pulse and aren't breathing they need an airway so the helmet needs to come off. If that doesn't work they need chest compressions. Of course, at that point it's largely too late, but who knows - might be that one in a million. (not being callous, but traumatic cardiac arrests virtually never have a good outcome)

I'm impressed that dude tracked down the other car. no doubt the police would have caught up to him soon enough, but adding another data point to the intoxication is helpful.

Back