Very strang starting issue

devildog48

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3
So I have a 2005 Triumph rocket 3 with a strange issue. I live in Georgia, so temps are nice and warm. This is a inherited issue as the bike was passed to me from my father. I have a ambient temperature starting issue. The bike will start and run with no issue as long as the temperature is above 85 degrees. In the mornings when temperatures are below 85 the bike will not start (turn over but not fire up). I have to take a space heater and place it on the foot peg just below the ignition coils for 20 mins to get the bike to start. My first thought was ignition coils so I replaced them as well as plugs and wires. The problem still persist. I have went through and cleaned all grounds electrical connections and sensors that I could find with no resolve. I put in a anti gravity lithium battery with more than enough CCA to turn this beast over. The bike lived a the triumph dealer when my father had it. Triumph replaced the brain as a last ditch effort to fix the problem with still no resolve. Keep in mind once the bike fires up it does great the rest of the day with no issue. But there is something about a cold start that it is not fond of. I am leaning a voltage issue as the bike is very sluggish turning over. Once the heat is applied it is still sluggish but fires up. Once the bike is warm and you start it she turns over very quick like it should. Any suggestions would be amazing!

If you haven't done it in a while I would start by removing and cleaning the battery cables at both ends. If they haven't been swapped out with new ones in the last 10 years or so I would just bite the bullet and replace the battery cables but when you do double up on them, or have some custom ones made in 4 gauge or so. I like to start simple and easy. ;)

bob

If you haven't done it in a while I would start by removing and cleaning the battery cables at both ends. If they haven't been swapped out with new ones in the last 10 years or so I would just bite the bullet and replace the battery cables but when you do double up on them, or have some custom ones made in 4 gauge or so. I like to start simple and easy. ;)

bob
I have cleaned them, But not replaced them. I seen a post somewhere about updating them. I will give this a try. Thank you for the help!

Check your voltage while starting the bike. If it drops below 11.4 volts +\- it will not start even if you have enough current to turn the starter.
Then it’s either the battery or connections.

Check your voltage while starting the bike. If it drops below 11.4 volts +\- it will not start even if you have enough current to turn the starter.
Then it’s either the battery or connections.
Will do!!! It is a brand new battery so I would hope connections. Thank you for the advice

Will do!!! It is a brand new battery so I would hope connections. Thank you for the advice
Check the other end connections one on the engine block and one on the starter pull them and clean them. This way you know there clean. Do you know what tune is in it. Might need to be updated.

Check the other end connections one on the engine block and one on the starter pull them and clean them. This way you know there clean. Do you know what tune is in it. Might need to be updated.
There is not a tune in it as of now. When my father had it, he installed a power commander. When he parked it and got a new rocket he pulled the program off.

There is not a tune in it as of now. When my father had it, he installed a power commander. When he parked it and got a new rocket he pulled the program off.
Yes im talking in the ecu the actual engine map. There was a recall in 07 for a reflash of the ecu map. I would start there by eliminating the power commander for now. You can leave it hanging and unplugged so we can eliminate connection issues and insure you have a good up to date map/program in the ecu. Also sounds to me like a full ISCV RESET/TEST should be done to verify synchronization between the ecu map the throttle position sensor and the idle stepper control. Plus resetting the afaptives.

Yes im talking in the ecu the actual engine map. There was a recall in 07 for a reflash of the ecu map. I would start there by eliminating the power commander for now. You can leave it hanging and unplugged so we can eliminate connection issues and insure you have a good up to date map/program in the ecu. Also sounds to me like a full ISCV RESET/TEST should be done to verify synchronization between the ecu map the throttle position sensor and the idle stepper control. Plus resetting the afaptives.
Ok Good to go. Do I need to take it to the dealer for the ISCV or is this something I can do myself with a aftermarket programmer? If so what do you advise me to get?

Ok Good to go. Do I need to take it to the dealer for the ISCV or is this something I can do myself with a aftermarket programmer? If so what do you advise me to get?
If you have tune ecu you can do it. Free software ya just need the cable and a lap top. Tune ecu is a must for maintenance unless you want to pay for the dealers kids college bill :) there are numerous people on this site using it.

Back