Very close to a box of matches and petrol...

Sorry to hear that mate, and such unpleasantness happening to such a near neighbour too. Bugger.

Yep after fixing the drive shaft output bearings this devil bike now presents me with a head gasket gone on number 3 across the water/oil circut...nice milky coloured oil and a nice splashing of coolant on the back of the valves from the swamped bore (see pics)..1 and 2 perfect and number 3 wet:(.....Will update this thread with pics as i go and swap the gasket out. BTW guys anyone have any links to a UK stockist of head gaskets or complete head sets?
Just keen to know if a compression check was done and wich cyl was down ?

Yep after fixing the drive shaft output bearings this devil bike now presents me with a head gasket gone on number 3 across the water/oil circut...nice milky coloured oil and a nice splashing of coolant on the back of the valves from the swamped bore (see pics)..1 and 2 perfect and number 3 wet:(.....Will update this thread with pics as i go and swap the gasket out. BTW guys anyone have any links to a UK stockist of head gaskets or complete head sets?
OK LOOKS like the head was ported has the bike been modded?

Spmewhere I have pictures of my other two sets of ash trays but ya head gaskets are easy
20170402_133602.jpg

The bike seems to have been owned by someone chasing horsepower...along with documents there was runs on a Dyno with printed figures including a fitted PC. Once the head is off ile have a good look around the inlet and exhaust ports for die grinder evidence etc. If the liners are still stuck to the block ime wondering do they still need to be re-sealed?? anyone know who has done this job?

I've changed a couple sets now without changing the liners.

You need to open the bottom, pull the sump pan and main bearing ladder with the windage tray/ oil baffle plate. Then it's like a Normal engine. Done it both ways and will never do it the way the manual states; it's too easy the other way.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are having hassles mate. Beginning to get twitchy about Rockets since all the trans and engine problems on here:(

Sorry to hear you are having hassles mate. Beginning to get twitchy about Rockets since all the trans and engine problems on here:(

Tranny problems a fairly small minority, engine problems probably 1/10 as common as tranny problems, perception is probably different because man bites dog is news, dog bites man isn't.

Tranny problems a fairly small minority, engine problems probably 1/10 as common as tranny problems, perception is probably different because man bites dog is news, dog bites man isn't.
Thanks for that - just read all the horror stories on here and was really thinking Explorer again. Trouble is - nothing compares to my R3T. Cheers

Back