Valve inspection interval and findings

cmintegra

.020 Over
Ride
2020 rocket 3 GT
Question for iron butt guys with plenty of mileage on their Rockets... anyone has done the valve inspection scheduled for 10k mi or 16k km? Any valve out of specs?

From owner's manual, the valve clearances check is scheduled at 20k miles. I haven't reached that yet. Don't know if anyone else has.
Oh, my bad! You're right my friend I was wrong both in the conversion and the column!!! LOL. But still there are some fellow rocketeers that have reached that mileage and it would be nice to know their findings. My v-rod supposedly needed valve adjustment in the low 20s, I've heard that even after 30-40k miles or even more very few really needed any valve adjustment. Happy riding!

I am not sure about the 2020 model R3 but on my 2011 roaster I checked at 23,000 miles and had a four out of spec, ended up swapping out 8 shims so everything is at the correct end of tolerance for future wear. Not that hard a job, just took a week while I waited on new shims
2256CC03-EBCC-4781-B481-0686F11B9B31.jpeg

I am not sure about the 2020 model R3 but on my 2011 roaster I checked at 23,000 miles and had a four out of spec, ended up swapping out 8 shims so everything is at the correct end of tolerance for future wear. Not that hard a job, just took a week while I waited on new shims
2256CC03-EBCC-4781-B481-0686F11B9B31.jpeg

Gents,

Looking for some guidance from those that have gone where I have not, yet. I've got a 2013 Touring with 25K mi. Just checked valve clearances for the first time, as the low rpm crickets have been bugging me for a year now. My findings are attached, in mils. Close, but still out of spec. So far, this exercise has been within my ability, valve cover removal and gasket preservation, perfect. But the thought of removing the camshaft drive chain and then getting the camshafts reoriented properly makes me nervous. I've seen references to little tools that allow one to slip in a shim without doing so, or even using s screw driver.

Questions I have:
1. Am I close enough to tolerance to let her go as is? I know the right answer, but appreciate other thoughts
2. How delicate a process is the reorienting of camshafts so that I do not screw up the timing? Haven't been able to find a video or idiot proof instructions on this one. Manual seems OK, but still on the fence of being an idiot of not. Any guidance is appreciated.
3. Does the little tool exist, allowing me to skip out of item 2?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
Gents,

Looking for some guidance from those that have gone where I have not, yet. I've got a 2013 Touring with 25K mi. Just checked valve clearances for the first time, as the low rpm crickets have been bugging me for a year now. My findings are attached, in mils. Close, but still out of spec. So far, this exercise has been within my ability, valve cover removal and gasket preservation, perfect. But the thought of removing the camshaft drive chain and then getting the camshafts reoriented properly makes me nervous. I've seen references to little tools that allow one to slip in a shim without doing so, or even using s screw driver.

Questions I have:
1. Am I close enough to tolerance to let her go as is? I know the right answer, but appreciate other thoughts
2. How delicate a process is the reorienting of camshafts so that I do not screw up the timing? Haven't been able to find a video or idiot proof instructions on this one. Manual seems OK, but still on the fence of being an idiot of not. Any guidance is appreciated.
3. Does the little tool exist, allowing me to skip out of item 2?

Thanks in advance!
Hard to believe that all valves are out of spec and to the narrow range so crickets should not occur. Are you sure about the measurements?

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Been using feeler gauges for 50 years, but who knows:). I don't know if crickets are generated by looser or tighter valves, but these numbers are all beyond the higher range, so I'm thinking they are looser, or not seating as snuggly as original?

BTW, reading through some of Sonny's comments I see there is a timing adjustment tool. Maybe this is the proper way to remove the camshaft and reorient. I'll keep digging and thanks for your comments.

Back