Valve cover leak repair

Olivier Delannoy

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Roadster
IMG_2949.jpg
Good morning all, my 2015 Rocket just developed the dreaded valve cover leak at 10K miles. I am lucky as the bike is still under warranty so the repair is covered. I have searched through the forum and it is clearly a known Rocket issue. My question is once repaired and assuming that dealer does a good job replacing it and properly torquing each bolt, should I be concerned that this problem will happen again at 20K miles? Those of you who had the repair done, any issue afterward?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember the interval, but replacing the gasket is a part of the regular maintenance. Also one suggestion I would make to everyone is to go over the bolts on the bike with a torque wrench. You will be surprised.

I don't remember the interval, but replacing the gasket is a part of the regular maintenance. Also one suggestion I would make to everyone is to go over the bolts on the bike with a torque wrench. You will be surprised.

And re check torque after a few hun

Had to replace mine (search for the thread) on my 2011 at about 10000miles now my 2005 has 70000plus miles and I have used the same gasket about four times with no leaks but then again the earlier Rockets were built to a higher standard

IMG_2949.jpg
Good morning all, my 2015 Rocket just developed the dreaded valve cover leak at 10K miles. I am lucky as the bike is still under warranty so the repair is covered. I have searched through the forum and it is clearly a known Rocket issue. My question is once repaired and assuming that dealer does a good job replacing it and properly torquing each bolt, should I be concerned that this problem will happen again at 20K miles? Those of you who had the repair done, any issue afterward?

Finally got my bike back. The dealer took advantage of the warranty covering labor for the valve cover gasket change and also changed spark plugs and 2 valve shims. I was surprised that 2 shims had to be changed after only 10K miles. But hopefully I'll be good until the 20K miles service.

IMG_2949.jpg

I had two valve cover gasket leaks repaired under warranty in my first 15k miles. The Triumph service manual specifically states not to apply any sealant between the gasket and the cover or head; but I can all but guarantee you that if no sealant is applied - especially around the common cyl. #1 area - you'll have another leak within 10k miles.

Back