Utopia backrest too big??

Stepnerd

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Roadster
bMb7U4D.jpg

My Utopia backrest just got delivered, and while I'm very happy with the quality and comfort, I feel like the pad is too big.
Has anyone had their utopia pad reshaped, or replaced it with a smaller pad?

It does look big, but if it works for you I wouldn't worry about style. Do you carry passengers? Can they fit comfortably behind it?

It does look big, but if it works for you I wouldn't worry about style. Do you carry passengers? Can they fit comfortably behind it?

I do carry passengers, but I haven't had one on the back since I fitted the backrest.

I have a Utopia backrest on my little Honda CTX700D, and I love it. I've said before, that is my commuter bike, which involves sitting at lights, stopping in traffic, and so on, and the support from the backrest has made all the difference in my riding, and frankly, I don't care how it looks. And passenger behind is no issue, and I would think it wouldn't matter how wide it is as far as the passenger goes -- just the nature of the horse. Like the dog with three legs, it becomes the new normal and they still wag their tail.

My Utopia backrest just got delivered, and while I'm very happy with the quality and comfort, I feel like the pad is too big.
Has anyone had their utopia pad reshaped, or replaced it with a smaller pad?

That would be quite hard to get a leg over, does it fold back at the base to make a day bed? ;)
I have the factory Classic dual seat with backrest on my 2010 R3R set at maximum height and it is possible to leg over without folding, but easier if you just fold the pad backwards on the top pad mount hinge like a 'T'.
The sprung bottom main adjustment mount folds fold forwards and I presume is really there to allow the pillion to get on (if a sissy bar is fitted), while the rider stands holding the bike up. I don't usually carry pillions so haven't tried it yet.
Have you a picture of the rear mount to the pad and how does yours fold - at one point or two and forwards or back?

What is the seat model, is that std factory 2013 R3R or recovered/shaped? Found on your profile -"BeyondTrim custom seats".
I presume the Utopia backrest mount bolts on top of or replaces the existing pillion base mount.

I have a generic pad from the local dealer made with fitted thread inserts for mounting that I had tried on some home made flimsy mounts that worked OK before buying the factory classic seat and backrest.

Last edited:
I never thought of getting my leg over the backrest . . . just don't have it in me anymore. I actually pick up my leg and help it over the seat in front of the backrest (mine folds forward, btw), not just out of physical ability, but also to avoid marring the shiny parts with my boot (been there done that).

I would ride it a good long while, and then, if there's something that bothers you about the backrest, then decide what you want to do, and how to go about it.

I'm sure it's comfortable but so is an arm chair and I would want one of those on my bike either. I had a Triumph backrest on mine and wouldn't have been without it, but they're a lot smaller than that one.
I'd get in touch with the supplier and see if they can chop half or at least 1/3 of it off if it was mine. Or maybe wherever your seat was done could "fix" it for you and make it match the seat better.

I can see you have taken pride in the aesthetics of your bike, including the seat and frankly I wouldn't be able to bring myself to ride with it the way it is.

Back