Upgraded starter, battery cables - will not start/engine light - forgot neutral/clutch lever

RomeoTango

Standard Bore
2008 Rocket III Classic. Replaced the starter motor (just the motor) with one from the recommended Toyota. Made 4ga battery cables and swapped at the same time.

Now bike will not start. Has power and lights up, but engine light is on.

Went back over all my connections. Did not actually disconnect anything but battery and starter.

Only item I realize was not "right" was the auxiliary connectors on the battery cables. The female connectors I purchased fit, but the security/snap portion was too long to maintain a secure catch on the male side. I sorta jury-rigged the original cables back to the battery and used the original auxiliary connectors. Still nothing.

Thinking I should put the original battery cables back on, and check again.

Could there be an issue with the starter?

Would much appreciate any advice.

take volt meter and connect to main bat posts if below 10 while cranking then bat needs charged or replaced.

What does the ecu say the battery voltage is.? gonna need tune ecu hooked up to check that and codes.

Battery is a month old Yuasa. Was starting before the starter swap.

Small pigtail is attached.

Bike will not even turn over.

I would remove the wires from the starter and hook them up to the old starter sitting beside the bike. If the old starter spins freely, you've confirmed the wiring is fine and that there is a problem with the new starter. Did you get the right config for the Rocket? You will need to run a ground jumper cable to your bike to test the starter.

What happens when you depress the start button? Any clicking or noises? Is it possible you disturbed the kickstand safety switch? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about problem with auxiliary connectors??

Last edited:
Yeah and be sure to clamp the motor down real good or it will jump once you put power to it.

Would you have a photo of the starter label? (Showing part number etc)
There is some incorrect info floating about and guys have bought the wrong starter, e.g. one that spins the opposite way..

These are the specs listed from eBay. Lists the 17774 at the end of the interchange part numbers.
eBay starter info.png

I did stop by Advance Auto on my way home and picked up part number 17774SV - their lower cost starter. Just in case I need it. The 17774 part is correct, yes?

As for the starting process, nothing at all seems to be happening at the starter. No noise, no clicking. I will check the kickstand switch.

By auxiliary wires I mean those smaller wires running of the battery connectors. They have a black plug that plugs in to a connector in the bike harness. I'm probably using the wrong term.

These are the specs listed from eBay. Lists the 17774 at the end of the interchange part numbers.
eBay starter info.png

I did stop by Advance Auto on my way home and picked up part number 17774SV - their lower cost starter. Just in case I need it. The 17774 part is correct, yes?

As for the starting process, nothing at all seems to be happening at the starter. No noise, no clicking. I will check the kickstand switch.

By auxiliary wires I mean those smaller wires running of the battery connectors. They have a black plug that plugs in to a connector in the bike harness. I'm probably using the wrong term.

17774 hmmm not a number I recognise... but I see the label says clockwise rotation.
I used 17610 without issue and it's counter clockwise rotation, same as the stock one.

Back