Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
With a lot of help from my friends.

I've had the Viking crossover sitting on my shop floor since receiving it from Paul Bryant. My son and I didn't get it installed during his all to short visit from Maryland so it's enjoyed a long stretch on the shop floor. Early this week I stopped by 1olbull's place and he gave me his stock Roadster handlebars so now I had another project to put off.

The problem has been my knees, with getting up and down off the shop floor an extremely difficult and painful process but then, friends came to the rescue yesterday morning.

1olbull (Steve) and his brother Danny arrived first with Claviger (Rob) shortly after. Danny worked on the left side of the exhaust, while I laid down and started with the right. I'd already removed the heat shields, wringing off one of the forward shroud fixing bolts. The metal is so soft that I didn't realize it was wringing off. Steve stayed mobile and brought any tools as needed. My brother-in-law, Rudy also arrived and pretty much just enjoyed the banter and conversation. Rudy was prior 82nd Airborne, while Steve was Army with Rob currently active duty Army. Both Danny and I were Navy so of course there was a bit of ribbing going around.

When Rob arrived he took over from me with he and Danny finishing off the exhaust. The most difficult part was removing the old exhaust crush seal, which Danny carefully did as we all took a break.

Rob then moved on to the Rivco risers and Roadster bars. It took a bit, with the Rob doing 98 percent of the changing and me handing him a fastener or tool if needed. Danny also pitched in.

Results:

The crossover pipe is incredible, dropping the exhaust note way down to a gnarly snarl. Amazing. And no leaks using the old gasket which Rob and Dan closely checked.

The bars took a bit of adjusting with the McCruise control having to be rerouted in front of the triple tree. This was the only one I was concerned about but it was minor. The Roadster bars with the risers are perfect and so much more comfortable. All other control cables stayed put. I did have to drill a hole in the bar to accept the throttle cable mount detente.

I'll be taking the Rocket out for a ride today which will include a test of the cruise control to see if I botched anything when I took the control mount off to bring it over the bars instead of under.

The Supervisot.JPG

1obull in his "supervisory" position with Rudy standing by.

Rob & Dan.JPG

Rob fitting the controls and adjusting the throttle cables with Dan standing by. I took the opportunity to lube the cables as the McCruise directions recommended with the fine oil I found in the McCruise box that came with the bike. Big difference and much lighter now which makes the cruise control more efficient.

Classic Bars.JPG

Classic bars mounted. The GPS mount is now to the right of the Rivcos. When I bought the bike it was mounted on the left switch, to me most unacceptable.

As the guys departed Rudy, who had just met them, remarked at what a great bunch of guys they were. I agreed and commented that if nothing else comes of buying my Rocket, I found some extremely fine new friends. Thanks guys for all of your help.

Last edited:
Back