Update Kit Price Gone Wild

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
I decided I wanted another Update Kit to keep on the shelf. Since I have a Black engine kit, I thought it would be a good idea to have a Silver engine kit. My local Triumph dealer checked for me last week and found out they are still available and still priced at $209. So I ordered it.

Well it came in this morning and guess what. Yep it is available. Nope it ain't $209 anymore.

$1500 is what I was told. I asked if they would honor the $209 price in the computer and was told NO. Can we call Triumph please ? They already called Triumph to ask WTF. Apparently Triumph raised the price about a year ago, but had not notified this dealer of the price change. I kind of think Triumph needs to honor the $209 price to me and the dealer. Anyway it is back on the truck going back to the warehouse.

They cannot justify that price as $209 is what that basket of parts is worth. Crikeys, the first victims that had to use the "upgrade"/update kit could get the whole shebang installed for 1500 bucks. What a bunch of wankers at Triumph's executive suite. They really stand by their customers (with loaded gun in hand, that is), HUH?

Last edited:
Are you actually trying to justify Triumph Corporate's attempted piracy, Scottie? IMO, it is not only not justifiable, it is indefensible and very, very bad business practice. The customer comes first!

I decided I wanted another Update Kit to keep on the shelf. Since I have a Black engine kit, I thought it would be a good idea to have a Silver engine kit. My local Triumph dealer checked for me last week and found out they are still available and still priced at $209. So I ordered it.

Well it came in this morning and guess what. Yep it is available. Nope it ain't $209 anymore.

$1500 is what I was told. I asked if they would honor the $209 price in the computer and was told NO. Can we call Triumph please ? They already called Triumph to ask WTF. Apparently Triumph raised the price about a year ago, but had not notified this dealer of the price change. I kind of think Triumph needs to honor the $209 price to me and the dealer. Anyway it is back on the truck going back to the warehouse.

The law here in NJ is that if $209 is the price they either showed to the public or that you had confirmation on from the dealer upon ordering the kit, they would have to honor that price.:sneaky:

Yeah I know. Same thing from my former home state Maryland and my Wife's former home state California ... but not in Idaho. Idaho is the self reliant state. Not a lot of consumer protection here as in other states. I'm OK as I have my Black engine kit but I wanted another one in case I get crazy and start building a fleet of Rockets as they are getting less and less expensive for the 10 year old bikes.

Last edited:
What's the diff due to engine case color or did you simply intend to get a duplicate kit for your horse of another color?

BTW, I wouldn't call the consumer protection laws that we're referring to as nanny-state anything. They are just good, sound public policy which prevent consumers from getting the shaft.

Has anyone priced out each part in the kit? would like to know what the cost is, no attempted piracy here it is easy if you do not like the price as of in this case you do not buy the item have to agree getting quoted one price then it jumps about 700 percent sucks.
Could someone post all items in the kit someone like a WHU fan from England now living in Canada:D

During earthquakes and hurricanes when people hoard goods it makes the goods more expensive for everyone else, just to have one sitting on the shelve is no reason to get upset with Triumph.
I wonder how many members have kits sitting around gathering dust- cough cough Paul and Scott to name a few:D
Lets see yes I am guilty of having a kit but then I also break stuff!!!
I also have a complete 2011 transmission and clutch set up with a MTC basket and a 2011 rear out put drive. But then I also have three Rocket engines not counting the old bucket 05 I have in the bobber chassis. I plan on installing a 06 black engine in that beast. Although I must say after seeing the R3 engine in a quad I thought a 8 wheel Argo would go pretty wild with a 2300 cc engine in her :D

Back