Unstable idle solved

gharger

Mr. Clean
Ride
05 RIII
I've fought an unstable idle and tuning problems since I bought my 05 R3. The bike has 17k miles on it and was bone stock when I bought it. Now, Carpenter header exhaust, Ramair and, tuneecu.
Looking down inside the fuel tank it looked clean but that silly un-lead plate bolted to the bottom of fill neck prevented a close look. Bored today I drained tank to possibly correct lying low fuel light. When I removed the inspection service plate and removed the pump filter assembly I found Lots of rust and brown fuel when I removed filter and emptied it.
Scotch brighted the interior of the tank, used leaf blower to blow the residue out then wiped it clean with WD40 socked shop towel.
A two hour trip to the Triumph shop wasn't happening today so I searched the web for alternative fuel filter.
Found Napa Gold 3032 with a burst strength of 60 PSI and is being used by lots of Ducatti folks with no problems.
Went for test ride, idle rock steady, good cold start and too much first gear roll on power for my near new rear tire. :) !
So, if you live where there's "gasohol" beware of rust and plugged filters.
BTW, that unleaded fuel plate, I removed, and tossed it. Now big fill hole to see inside and less splash mess while fueling.

I've fought an unstable idle and tuning problems since I bought my 05 R3. The bike has 17k miles on it and was bone stock when I bought it. Now, Carpenter header exhaust, Ramair and, tuneecu.
Looking down inside the fuel tank it looked clean but that silly un-lead plate bolted to the bottom of fill neck prevented a close look. Bored today I drained tank to possibly correct lying low fuel light. When I removed the inspection service plate and removed the pump filter assembly I found Lots of rust and brown fuel when I removed filter and emptied it.
Scotch brighted the interior of the tank, used leaf blower to blow the residue out then wiped it clean with WD40 socked shop towel.
A two hour trip to the Triumph shop wasn't happening today so I searched the web for alternative fuel filter.
Found Napa Gold 3032 with a burst strength of 60 PSI and is being used by lots of Ducatti folks with no problems.
Went for test ride, idle rock steady, good cold start and too much first gear roll on power for my near new rear tire. :) !
So, if you live where there's "gasohol" beware of rust and plugged filters.
BTW, that unleaded fuel plate, I removed, and tossed it. Now big fill hole to see inside and less splash mess while fueling.

Good feedback, thank you, will keep your experience with gasohol in mind.

Had the same problem .... replaced fuel filter(s), tuned within an inch of existence. All went well, or I convinced myself it did. Replaced the TPS and never looked back ...... just sayin.

Back