Unknown pothole in the shadows caused my HD to drop between the gears...

MIG

Road Therapy...
Drifting between Las Vegas, NV and Tucson, AZ...
Ride
"Fiona" my '14 R3T & "Delilah" my '16 V-Rod Muscle
The strangest thing (at least to me) happened this morning. I'm cruising to work on my HD V-Rod; taking my normal route at 0530 in the morning darkness... which for traffic here is sometimes very lane specific... when I actually had to change lanes to go around a left-turning truck and go under a bridge where I found... there in the shadows... a pothole I did not know existed (as I had never gone under the bridge in the right lane or in the daylight... when I ride home it is also dark). I was in 4th gear and I don't feel the jolt was all that bad... but suddenly I was on the throttle with 'no go'. I quickly realized she had jumped out of gear and was between gears. VERY strange, I've never had that happen on any of my three Triumphs without a broken transmission to start with. I quickly recovered without issue and she rides like it never happened... but still... very strange and I've gone 40+ miles since. Anyone else ever experience this?

-MIG

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
Not, but I'm guessing the jolt moved the gear lever, enough to take it out of gear but not enough travel to go into the next gear.
I bought some Rocket parts off a guy I met at the Bennington Bash that totalled his Rocket hitting a pothole hidden by a puddle, it broke an engine boss, I'm thinking it was the one the crash bars bolt to.

FE_rex

Bob Wills is still the King
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Also, those vrods used cast levers and an angle. Wouldn't take a much of a hard hit and a little foot tap to drop it down. when I added my forward controls, I had to be careful with angle of shifter or it would drop

MIG

Road Therapy...
Drifting between Las Vegas, NV and Tucson, AZ...
Ride
"Fiona" my '14 R3T & "Delilah" my '16 V-Rod Muscle
Also, those vrods used cast levers and an angle. Wouldn't take a much of a hard hit and a little foot tap to drop it down. when I added my forward controls, I had to be careful with angle of shifter or it would drop

Mine was **** near vertical sitting on the showroom floor. I had the adjustment maxed out (down) to maker her a bit more comfortable. Still high but I have no issues. I can see how it helps ensure I don't accidentally hit it on a bump as these are already forward.