Underseat K&N

triroketman

Supercharged
Presently I have a cat bypass with stock pipes and the 12 minute tune worked well. I was going to replace the air cleaner with the underseat K&N. My question is "will the 12 minute tune be sufficient to integrate the K&N into the system, or should I by a Tuneboy".
Dave
06 Classic R&W

I think you would be fine, but you will be running pretty lean. You might get some more popping on decel or afterfiring. I think it would be a good excuse to get a Tuneboy though.:D

The underseat K&N filter works well with stock pipes, better with the TOR's WITH the TOR-compatible tune and better yet with the Mad Dogs, with the same TOR tune (the best seat-of-the-pants combination I have come up with in over 3 years of ownership).

As far as the cat bypass is concerned, I have yet to see :confused: a factory-specified tune, regardless of either aftermarket cans or air filter or BOTH, that is suitable and durable beyond 12'.

But I have no TuneBoy direct experience. Best. Jamie

If you have a stock seat, there is a plastic manifold under it which routes air into the under seat filter. Get rid of it.

I see the recommendation for removing the "snorkel" from the base of the seat. Would you mind explaining why? Is it due to using the K&N filter or should you remove it even if you have the stock filter?

Bravo, a first that I'm aware of as announced on this site: An underseat K&N :D The mass volume of air restricted by the "snorkel" could very likely reduce the natural draw with the underseat K&N. Though air density drawn from outside the influences of engine heat will increase HP. A dyno test with and without the snorkel during cool weather and another with summer heat would tell the difference.

I mounted a security system atop the battery so a removal of the snorkel was necessary. This summer's performance, seat of the pants measurement, with tell me whether it was a good move.

So... two years later - Was removal of the snorkel / manifold a good idea?

Anyone else anything to add - As you have no doubt guessed, I am considering removing it.

Back