Uhoh this don't sound good!!!

Roscoe

Biker Chaplain
Ride
2008 R3
Anyone have any idea what this is? Was on my way home from work in an 80K zone dropping down to a 60 K Zone, went to change gears pulled the clutch in and this noise appeared, stopped the bike eventually found nuetral and called a Tow Truck to get it home.

Anyone have any idea what it is??

Hard to tell but it sure sounds like a connecting rod spun a bearing. Do you get a double knock when giving a little throttle? I wouldn't run it for long if it is a bearing because it will chew up the crank and rod end.

Pull the filter and cut it open to check to see what's inside. If it is a bearing, you should see some swarf....

Sounds like a clutch spring tower or a clutch spring bolt broke and the spring is hitting the cover. Not far from catastrophic failure. Open, change, ride, :) now if you're dropping the sump like @Mittzy said, drop it straight. Clutch spring bits and pieces of aluminum in the front of the pan under the basket, clutch problem. Debris in the rear left screen area and no teeth; Torsional damper. Debris generally everywhere and signs of gear teeth the the noise is probably gear dogs too close because a circlip is on walk about. Just thinking out loud :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Sound bad for sure. Would be nice if it was just a clutch spring tower, or clutch bolt that has backed out. Wonder what it sounds like when cranked over without starting? I can't remember if you can crank with the kill switch off or not. You might be able to feel it on the front cover, if it is a clutch thing. Almost sounds more like a "scrape" than a "knock":confused:

Back