Tweaking Aeros

hombre

Nitrous
Those with a sharp eye might notice that the upper fairing grew a "chin":

Plastic cover plate next for bottom of triple tree... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited:
It's time

Hombre:

Without actually wind tunnel testing the areodynamics, it's all a crapshoot. I guess you could do a 'cheapie wind tunnel mockup' in your barn with some smoke bombs and a big floor fan. You need to actually observe the turbulence patterns over the bike rather than use conjecture. As you approach the 200 mph speed, even subtle changes in airflow over the bike (and you) will have profound consequences in the handling aspect.

Just having the ponies to push the envelope don't mean that the 'envelope' will be a smooth ride. Poor airflow at speed could mean the difference between a 'good' ride and a 'gurney' ride. Besides, with smooth air transition over the bike, it will take less motive power to achieve the results you strive for.

You have lots of stuff on that bike that create turbulence like the intercooler and the filter/intake hanging out on the side. Try getting in your car and driving 100 mph and then stick your hand out the window with a flat, forward facing palm and then make a fist. You immediately understand what I mean.

You've spent a ton of FRN's on that bike, it's time to flow it. You might be surprised at what actually needs to be addressed for airflow and what don't.

Thanks, Flip.

Here's a photo of me and some of my aerodynamic mods from 1980:

is that a mullet haircut hombre... you fashion monster you.
in all seriousness with the extreme of this machine wouldnt a professional rider make sense. i really dont want to see you get hurt on that beast. i would think that at least letting one wring it out 1st and see what needs to be altered would be prudent.

****, I was hoping you guys would ask about the straight upper wing, full cowling, 4 ailerons with servos, wing and tail fillets, and flying wires on rudder. Also 550 HP with 14.5 blower... 200 mph @ sea level, and I could pull 2 vertical rolls. Not bad for a Stearman.

That was some kind of late 70's floppy hair (not mullet), and now my hair is gray and thinner. I always test pilot my own stuff... SETP. Gotta get my ya yahs, yah know? :D

****, I was hoping you guys would ask about the straight upper wing, full cowling, 4 ailerons with servos, wing and tail fillets, and flying wires on rudder. Also 550 HP with 14.5 blower... 200 mph @ sea level, and I could pull 2 vertical rolls. Not bad for a Stearman.

That was some kind of late 70's floppy hair (not mullet), and now my hair is gray and thinner. I always test pilot my own stuff... SETP. Gotta get my ya yahs, yah know? :D

I apologize Walt. I'm not at all into avionics but I did appreciate the Imron paint job. My total airtime has been flying to Hawaii on a commercial airliner dying for a cigarette and looking out the window and watching the airframe flex. I don't particularly like aircraft except when sitting on the ground and I'm looking at the mechanicals. I've been more than a little intriqued by ultralights. There are a bunch of them around here and most farmers locally have their own airstrips. I have enough flat land to have an airstrip, I just don't have the want to. I do have a good friend that has a Beech Bonanza that want's me to 'fly to Cleveland' with him for lunch. Problem is, I'd probably loose my lunch before I ate it.

That was some kind of late 70's floppy hair (not mullet), and now my hair is gray and thinner.

Looks more like a Miami Vice era Don Johnson in that pic. I remember 1980, the year I started kindergarten..:D

Back