Turn signal "cancelling" button disable.

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I'm installing the Signal Minder & need to disable the stock "signal cancelling" center button. Anyone know how to get into the switching mechinism? It appears the switch body needs to come out of the shell housing from the inside (have removed the detachable half) but the sliding button is on the outside of the shell & I'm not sure what it takes to get this switch assembly apart (without snapping some plastic holding tab or something). Can't seem to find anything specific in the manual.

Any comments or guiding instructions guys?

Thanks is advance.

See ya.

Last edited:
Maybe this is the answer?

Upon further review & studing, I believe if I drill the end off the rivet holding the metal plate on the face of the switch (as seen from viewing inside of the shell), that would disable the center "cancelling" button? But there is still the question of the supplied "centering springs" that the instructions state to install. I can't install them if I can't get to where they go.

Maybe I'm still not figuring this out as it should be. I'm thinking I still need to pull the switch out of the shell, right (center plastic housing in first photo)?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Hey Rusty....

Why are you removing the 'self cancelling feature'? I have a Signal Minder on the Bonnie and I just left the switch alone. The unit flashes 10 times and quits. I just have to remember to move the selector to the center position to re-activate the Signal Minder. I never modified the switch at all.

You are most likely right Flip. I beginning to think I can't install the springs & will need to learn to "reset" the Signal Minder by pushing the cancel button after each use of the turn signals.

I looked at the pictures in the installation manual & the "spring centering" application is not at all similar to the switch configuration of the Rocket.

I'll need to train myself accordingly. At least the signals will stop flashing & I won't give those cagers the impression I'm turning when I'm really not.

Thanks Flip. Pianoman, do you need to "cancel" the signal (or reactivate as Flip stated) the flash before the turn signal can be used again?

See ya.

I put the Signal Minder on the Bonnie because the indicator light is hard to see in bright sunlight whereas the R3 indicator isn't. Besides, on the Bonnie I activated the 4 way flasher mode as the outside turnsignal is mounted on the sidecar itself.

You can set the unit to flash any number of times and then turn off. So long as you push the center button, it will cancel the action and you can then start it again. It quickly becomes second nature, especially when sitting in traffic waiting to turn and it self cancels.

OK. I took the gal out for a ride last evening to see how the "running lights" looked in the dark & was pleased with the bikes appearance. BUT, the turn signal light on the tach stays on constantly! It flashes rapidly once in a while for a handful of flashes but then returns to "ON" constant. It doesn't flash with the signal either, simply stays lite, which I need to resolve because that green light, being on all the time in the dark, is distracting.

Anyone?

Hey Flip, I chose to hook up the "brake light pause" mode feature. You know, set the Minder for 20 flashes, hit the brakes after 12 flashes, the Signal minder pauses the flash time interval and then continues after the brake is released. I think I'll like that mode.

Last edited:
Rusty:

You have something amiss in the wiring. Somehow, you are feeding the indicator light with constant voltage.

You aren't 'talking to yourself'. I'm following along. Problem is, I'm having trouble diciphering the schematic in the shop manual. The Bonnie is a lot simpler. It has no electronics involved.

You are backfeeding the indicator light, but with being there (and probably turning your harness into a toaster), I can't seem to ascertain why it's doing what it's doing.

I don't have one, but I remember reading somewhere that there is something that needs to be done when there is a single indicator light.:confused:

Those darn electronic gizmos

I came home after work & grabbed the stock flasher & headed out to the old red gal (didn't ride her due to Flips comments of "toasting" things). I changed back to the stock flasher & tried it out, naturally all worked fine. Decided to give the Signal Minder another try to see if I could maybe figure out the "dash signal light on constant" issue. Plugged the signal minder in, hit the turn signal and all is working fine now. Really didn't do anything different 'cept unplug the 3 wire harness when I removed the Signal Minder. Left the 3 wires connected (naturally) at the pick-up points & upon reinstall - What do you know!

All's well that ends well. Darn electronic gizmos. :confused:

I've fixed more electrical issues just by taking the darn thing (what ever it is/was) apart & putting it back together.

See ya. And thanks for the support from our tentative listeners.

Back