Turbo R3 w BST Wheels

hombre

Nitrous
Photos of great looking Turbo R3 with BST CF wheels. Check the Pingel air shifter! Should be some good racing. :D

Air Shifter

Hombre, I've heard about air shifters but don't quite understand how they work. Do you still use the clutch? Is it only good for up shifting? Can it be pre set to a given rpm?

Inquiring minds want to know.........thanks.

Shiftless in Seattle............

Most certainly a dry weather bike. Personally, I don't like the location of the turbo, especially the air intake, but it's obviously a 'rich man's' toy.

The way an air shifter works is it simply uses an air cylinder to actuate the mechanism. Of course you have to have an air supply, air storage tank or pressurized (canned) air somewhere on the bike. The air shifter simply actuates the shift linkage and thusly the shift forks and the precise moment an ignition cut-out cuts the spark and allows the torque flow to be interrupted. That interruption allows the gear sets to 'float'. Basically, what happens is the inherent clearances in the gearbox allow for some slop (that's what you feel between powering the bike, coast and negative throttle. That small lag allows the gear sets to be shifted without any grinding or clashing, most often up in gear ratio's. It happens so quickly (so long as everything is operating in complete harmony) that a ride doesn't even feel an interruption in power delivery and it causes no harm to the transmission.

What Flip said... all I can add is that air shifters can be hard on transmissions, especially if the gears aren't shaved. I believe the Echo Cycle bike had transmission problems with their Pingel equipped bike, but it also was pushing 335 RWHP @ 16 lbs boost. :eek:

Relly nice but, turbo is the old model is not "garret" air intake is big broblem.
Now Boostisgood turbo kit is totally different, air intake is under seat ,
in finland you cant ride those set up, But that bike is not finland so no broblem

What Flip said... all I can add is that air shifters can be hard on transmissions, especially if the gears aren't shaved. I believe the Echo Cycle bike had transmission problems with their Pingel equipped bike, but it also was pushing 335 RWHP @ 16 lbs boost. :eek:

What Hombre means by shaved is actually relieved more........
All tramsmission gears are chamfered on the outer perhiphery even with synchronizer rings (which are essentially clutch packs that bring the gearset to engagement speed before the shift forks slide them together in engagement). Because the action is so fast (much faster than your foot can actuate the linkage), the mating faces of the gears have to be ground at a more acute angle so they can slide together. However, when you do that, the contact patch between the gear teeth becomes less across the outer diameter so the gearsets become more prone to failure at elevated horsepower and torque loads. Hot rodding is always a tradeoff.

To better understand how exactly synchronizer rings operate, if you have a standard shift car, get in your car and start the engine. Let it idle. Take the gear selector, move it from the neutral position into the second gear gate and apply a slight pressure like you would to put it in gear but don't touch the clutch. If your car has a quiet muffler, you'll hear a whine that will increase as you apply pressure on the gear selector which in turn puts pressure on the **** fork which in turn applies a sliding pressure to the gearset. The whine you hear is the synchronizer rings bringing the gearset up to engagement speed. The reason the gearset won't engage is that the mainshaft is stationary.

Yes, this is "Brembo's" R3, from the "other" forum. Brembo is one of the good guys.

Brembo`s bike wery sweet, Yes I agree nice man. AND NICE WHEELS

Paint scheme is now deside, deep Black, deep blod red hig lights, and blod red stripes in the wheels... and alamoust all crome away !

Back