Tuning hardware solution, opinions?

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
After agonizing about how I wanted to go about tuning my bikes, both. I have decided that buying PC Vs for both, having them tuned on a dyno and then transferring the trims over to TuneECU would be acceptable but is quite expensive and I don't exactly trust a Harley tech to know how to tune pissed off triumph triples.

As a result I think I am going to get an innovative LM-2 with the OBD-2 cable to log with. I think this makes the most sense since I have functional tunes already, just not optimized to my bikes. I would also be able to use it on both and tune the whole map instead of just WOT like the Harley dealer will do.

The last bit will be buying 2 OBDLink LXs to put up OBD data on my phone. Will be able to do dyno calcs and monitor all that great stuff while LM2 stays safely in the house once they are tuned.

I have a nice road I can do 4th gear pulls from 30 mph to redline without letting off repeatably. Then go home, throw it up on the log analyzer, tweak the tables, flash and repeat until satisfied.

Opinions on this vs using a dyno?

Before it's asked, I did inquire if the Harley dealership would strap my bike down and let me do the tuning, nope. Against policy....

I agree with IAN PCV and autotune but remember no matter what version wide ban sensor you buy it will be off a few points, Weggo III, Inovate, PCV they are all not perfect. say if your reading 13,8 its actually about 14.1 keep this in mind and program accordingly. They also degrade over time so taking them off and storing indoors is good. You will definitely find some guidance on the auto tune with Hanso on this site.

I have currently been playing with using my Auto Tune and yet another AFR map ( won't be releasing it till I am sure it is spot on) to show where the ECU map is lacking and using the trim variations where it is trimming up around the - or + 20 to then trim the effected area in the ECU F table, I hope to eventually get it so the trims are all with in a close to 0 region and then I will disconnect the Auto Tune and as store it for later periodical maintenance purposes. I hopes this helps in your situation as you would only need to have one Auto Tune and you could swap it between bikes till you got them right

PC V + AT unfortunately doesn't get me what I am after. It would help narrow down the fueling. There is also price, 2x PC V + AT is around the $800 mark, LM-2 + 2 OBDLink MX can be had for around $360. I suppose you pay for that savings in time tuning though :p

About the accuracy, I did some reading on various sensors tested against each other, the Innovative came out on top for accuracy and update rate, regardless I wont be trying to put it right on the edge of safe vs power. Thanks for the reminder though.

Has anyone tuned an R3 using an LM-2 here?

http://tunertools.com/articles/FordMuscle.pdf <-- interesting reading regarding accuracy and update rate of 8 different WB O2 sensors. TL/DR: Innovative is the best.

Last edited:
Back