Tuning a bone stock 2016 roadster...

ChicagoRocket

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph Rocket 3 R Chrome Edition
Hey Gang,

I just picked up my 2016 Rocket 3 roadster about a week ago. I am wanting to know if it is possible to tune the 2016 with Tune ECU? I already ordered my Tune ECU cable off amazon and it will be here Thursday.

So here are my questions..

1. I keep reading and hearing that the 2016 roadster "may" have a locked ECU, is this true and if it is what can I do to unlock it?

2. I really like sound of the stock pipes on this bike. Is there just a tune for a stock bike that will increase power under stock conditions (i'm assuming it get's rid of all the emissions nonsense that comes on a stock tune)?

THANKS!

I don't know about locking the ECU but it could void your warranty if you hack the ECU, depending on your dealer and if Triumph central gets wind of it, which they could because they sometimes get involved with diagnosing problems.

It's already derestricted with the secondaries open 100% except at the high end in 4th and 5th above 5000 rpm. For street racing, you shouldn't need more than 2nd or 3rd. There's no point if you're keeping the exhaust stock. You could optimize the fuel for the completely stock configuration with a Power Commander and a good dyno tuner. That has nothing to do with the ECU and shouldn't get you in trouble with Triumph. If your dealer says there's a problem with that, you could remove it whenever you bring it in and reinstall it afterward, easy peasy.

TuneECU site is now showing all model years for the Rocket III. Which is changed from about a month ago when it showed up to 2015.

I have a '16 and have read and saved the map from the eco, but have not tried downloading anything to the ecu.

The service manager at the dealership told me the Rockets come locked from Triumph and they have to unlock them or they won't run at all.

TuneECU site is now showing all model years for the Rocket III. Which is changed from about a month ago when it showed up to 2015.

I have a '16 and have read and saved the map from the eco, but have not tried downloading anything to the ecu.

The service manager at the dealership told me the Rockets come locked from Triumph and they have to unlock them or they won't run at all.
I just looked at it and it says all model years for the Rocket as of June 15. One thing you can be sure of is that if you hack the ecu and download a tune, Triumph will know about it from the tool. This might apply to reading a tune also. The dealer might not care but if you ever has an issue where they hook your bike up to Triumph central, don't be surprised if they try to weasel out of the warranty.

There's no point in putting on a freer flowing intake with the restrictive stock header and mufflers with the cats in them. The stock tune might not be optimal for power but the secondaries are not closed, except at the high end. I doubt you will find a TuneECU tune out there that will give you significant power gain and run as well as the stock tune. If you want power, you have to replace the exhaust and get it properly tuned.

I don't know about locking the ECU but it could void your warranty if you hack the ECU, depending on your dealer and if Triumph central gets wind of it, which they could because they sometimes get involved with diagnosing problems.

It's already derestricted with the secondaries open 100% except at the high end in 4th and 5th above 5000 rpm. For street racing, you shouldn't need more than 2nd or 3rd. There's no point if you're keeping the exhaust stock. You could optimize the fuel for the completely stock configuration with a Power Commander and a good dyno tuner. That has nothing to do with the ECU and shouldn't get you in trouble with Triumph. If your dealer says there's a problem with that, you could remove it whenever you bring it in and reinstall it afterward, easy peasy.

Sorry to sorta dig this up, but what exactly would it optimize? In what ways?

I have a stock one and im wondering if i should do a tune/remapping on stock. I dont really plan on doing mods for a bit. What are the pros or cons? Mine isnt brand new, it is a 2013 tho i did bought an extended warranty....

Roadster owners you will want to at least replace the stock mufflers with the TORs muffler. Deletes the cat, increases flow and they have great sound and not loud. Much better flow so you can benefit some from the upgrade tune.

There's no point in putting on a freer flowing intake with the restrictive stock header and mufflers with the cats in them. The stock tune might not be optimal for power but the secondaries are not closed, except at the high end. I doubt you will find a TuneECU tune out there that will give you significant power gain and run as well as the stock tune. If you want power, you have to replace the exhaust and get it properly tuned.
IF you want max power replace the exhast with a light weight 3 to 1 10 lb CARP exhaust and the EXTREME K&N intake filters and a retune youll have 165 + HP and lose 40lbs for a big performance boost

Back