Tuning a 2018 Touring

Rocket_Rider

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3 Touring 2018
Dear Brains trust,

So I have a set of TORS and a RAMAIR kit on the way to me. I also have a Lonelec cable and have tune ecu on android and in windows xp running in parallels on my Mac.

Bike is currently stock touring. Once I install the highflow exhaust and air filter, what’s the current recommendation on a tune for that combo?

I’ve been reading the forums and seen the stock slip on tune, also seen one referred to as Nels. What am I looking for here? don’t wanna end up running rich or lean.

On a side note, my dealer told me I could install the high flow pipes and do the 12min tune but from what I’ve read that will just run lean? Asked the dealer about tuning, they say they can’t do tunes anymore just the 12min thing... seems like bull****??

I have noticed I smell fuel when I get off the beast... is that normal stock? Could it be running rich? not sure how I can check that?

Any other advice? Thanks all .... not sure how I could do anything of this without this forum!

The nels 20368 tune should do fine, but being a 2018 without the cat delete pipe wait for more experienced rocketeers to opine.

You are 14 hours from the man in the tin shed, Neville lush, a nice ride and he’s probably the best in the world or one of at these bikes he is also on this forum

Depending on your budget, he can probably double your horsepower, triple it if it's a Touring. There's a resource page here too with a lot of tunes you can load with TuneEcu, freeware, and a $25 dollar cable.

You are 14 hours from the man in the tin shed, Neville lush, a nice ride and he’s probably the best in the world or one of at these bikes he is also on this forum

yes a pilgrimage is likely in my future at some point.... but in the meantime, want to run the bike with the mods without running too lean or rich

The Nels tune was developed on a 2013 R3T so it should work fine for you, for now. As always just dropping in a tune *may* work but because of the differences between bikes it may not be optimal which is why a good tuner and a dyno should always be part of tuning your bike once you make mods.

bob

The Nels tune was developed on a 2013 R3T so it should work fine for you, for now. As always just dropping in a tune *may* work but because of the differences between bikes it may not be optimal which is why a good tuner and a dyno should always be part of tuning your bike once you make mods.

bob

Agreed, and I will get dynoing done... eventually.... but I’m guessing the drop in tune is still better than the current strangling happening to my bike :eek:

Agreed, and I will get dynoing done... eventually.... but I’m guessing the drop in tune is still better than the current strangling happening to my bike

No doubt about that. The stock R3T is somewhat anemic in the power department.

bob

Back