TuneECU and TPS position during a run

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
Have a question about using the Android version for Tuning - I'm more used to the Windows program
With Windows, when doing a run you can just use the Map Edit screen and can see the Throttle Position highlighted across the top axis to give you a direct readout of actual Throttle Position
i.e. you want to do a pull at 50% - you can use the map edit screen as a 'live' throttle position indicator to hold the throttle with the 50% on the axis highlighted.
This function doesn't appear to be present in Android? (i,e, no highlight on the TPS axis)
Where do you view Throttle Position when doing a pull in Android? (in the dashboard or sensors screen these don't display actual throttle position but % of the applied voltage)
(this is a lot more noticeable with older models where the TPS indication in sensors and dashboard might only be 70% when the actual throttle is 100% wide open)

So - you tuners out there - where are looking on ANDROID version to get ACTUAL TPS position??

I also noticed the Android version map edit screen doesn't do this (which is awkward for tuning), but am not sure what the issue here is - appears to me that the "Throttle Position" or "TPS" in the Android version Sensors and Dashboard screens reads the actual % throttle?
At least on my Rockets.

In my understanding (for what it's worth), the throttle position range is set vs a 0 - 5V (well, 0 - 3.8V or so) range, and doing the ISCV reset is like a 2 point calibration that 'teaches' the ECU what certain % throttles are in terms of volts, and then the ECU fills in the rest of the range via extrapolation.

So if the reading on screen is actually % of the voltage (which it is), it is also the % of throttle (if the calibration is correct).
The Sensors screen also shows TPS volts.

If the physical throttle was actually fully open, i.e. ~100%, and the "Throttle Position" in TuneECU Sensors screen read 70%, that sounds to me like the ISCV reset calibration was done wrong, or perhaps there's another issue with the TPS or throttle itself.

Sensors screen with throttle closed
Screenshot_20200606-125106_TuneECU.jpg

Sensors screen with throttle wide open (using grip)
Screenshot_20200606-125115_TuneECU.jpg

Dashboard screen with throttle closed
Screenshot_20200606-125333_TuneECU.jpg

Dashboard screen with throttle wide open (using grip)
Screenshot_20200606-125354_TuneECU.jpg

And compared same time to Windows TuneECU 2.5.8;

Also just to note also that going WOT on the handlebar grip of a Rocket III might only result in like 93 - 97% throttle in TuneECU, TuneBoy, Triumph diagnositics, but you can roll the actual throttle butterfly further open to reach a mechanical stop, which actually reads 100% on screen;

Last edited:
I also noticed the Android version map edit screen doesn't do this (which is awkward for tuning), but am not sure what the issue here is - appears to me that the "Throttle Position" or "TPS" in the Android version Sensors and Dashboard screens reads the actual % throttle?
At least on my Rockets.

In my understanding (for what it's worth), the throttle position range is set vs a 0 - 5V (well, 0 - 3.8V or so) range, and doing the ISCV reset is like a 2 point calibration that 'teaches' the ECU what certain % throttles are in terms of volts, and then the ECU fills in the rest of the range via extrapolation.

So if the reading on screen is actually % of the voltage (which it is), it is also the % of throttle (if the calibration is correct).

If the physical throttle was actually fully open, i.e. ~100%, and the "Throttle Position" in TuneECU Sensors screen read 70%, that sounds to me like the ISCV reset calibration was done wrong, or perhaps there's another issue with the TPS or throttle itself.

Also just to note also that going WOT on the handlebar grip of a Rocket III might only result in like 93 - 97% throttle in TuneECU, TuneBoy, Triumph diagnositics, but you can roll the actual throttle butterfly further open to reach a mechanical stop, which actually reads 100% on screen;

Noticed that while checking wide open throttle with grip, didn't fully open throttle, could open more turning throttle shaft. Bike is not ready to ride yet, but was wondering how to get full throttle especially when going to dyno and wanting full throttle.

Noticed that while checking wide open throttle with grip, didn't fully open throttle, could open more turning throttle shaft. Bike is not ready to ride yet, but was wondering how to get full throttle especially when going to dyno and wanting full throttle.

I forgot to do it when on the dyno a few months back.. the short limit might be because air flows better through the throttles at like 95% than 100%, and fingering the actual throttle arm to get 100% might knock a few hp off the reading.... or, maybe it will actually improve peak power, give you like 2hp more than just with the handlebar grip... only way to know is to do a back to back comparison on the dyno.
Please do it when you get to the dyno!

At least on my Rockets.

At closed you show 1.6%, what is tps voltage set at .60? or i suspect higher, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Sagem ECU (Daytona 955) in sensors and dashboard in Android it reads 70% at WOT, same as on Windows - you can only see 0- 100% in Windows on the MapEdit Screen - there is nowhere in Android that reports that. So the Keihin converts the voltage for the sensor output, the Sagem does not. But there must be data accessible since the Windows program can grab it.
Regardless, that feature (directly on the MapEdit Screen) was really useful for Tuning - I'll make a 'suggestion' on the forum and see if he will consider restoring that capability. Actually what might be even nicer would be a couple of 'boxes' with the TPS and RPM available on that screen.

Suggestion posted here - TuneECU (you need to be logged into TuneECU forum to see that)
Add your weight to that :D

Last edited:
Back