Rocket_Rider

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3 Touring 2018
Hi all,

been reading up on Tune ECU as Im looking to retune my stock touring model to get the extra power that one will apparently get. I will do exhaust and ramair done the track, this is just step one.

I notice the instructions say hook battery up to another battery and others have said a tender/charger on this forum.

If I go battery route is it a car or bike battery?

In terms of chargers I have an optimate 4 that charges at 1amp, but then I also have this other Aussie-made charger: Oz Charge 12 Volt / 6 Amp 9-Stage Battery Charger and Maintainer

the aussie one does 6amps and it says the boost charge voltage is 14.1v, the trickle is 13.6v

is the aussie charger good enough to stay above 12.5v or do I need to go buy another battery and which type?

Thanks!!

I just leave my optimate plugged in when using Tune ECU and have never had a problem. It doesn't take that long to read and upload the maps. Remove the headlight fuses as it tells you in the instructions and all will be well. Has the cat been removed? Im not sure if they are in the exhausts on your particular model or still in the cross over box. That would be my first removal before I started messing with the tuning as that's a good power gain over stock for little effort. Im not sure how much of a power gain you would get using tune ECU with everything stock..im sure someone will be here soon to tell you.

You do not need much amperage. The key point is that the voltage really needs to be stable-ish and not drop to far otherwise the ECU will just shutdown and you risk then corrupting the map. The Optimate is fine.

I just leave my optimate plugged in when using Tune ECU and have never had a problem. It doesn't take that long to read and upload the maps. Remove the headlight fuses as it tells you in the instructions and all will be well. Has the cat been removed? Im not sure if they are in the exhausts on your particular model or still in the cross over box. That would be my first removal before I started messing with the tuning as that's a good power gain over stock for little effort. Im not sure how much of a power gain you would get using tune ECU with everything stock..im sure someone will be here soon to tell you.

Cats are in the silencers not the crossover box.... I intend to get a full system from Paul Bryant as soon as I have enough cash on hand but that may take a few months

Is your bike a 2018 as per your Avatar? I believe I've read reports of locked ECUs on later bikes. Not gospel, just a recollection.

Is your bike a 2018 as per your Avatar? I believe I've read reports of locked ECUs on later bikes. Not gospel, just a recollection.

Yes it’s a 2018.... been a discussion about that in another thread but it’s definitely stamped 08/18

I have read about the Tiger being locked, haven’t read anything about a Rocket being locked? But obviously something I’d like to know about.... not sure how I could check that

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with a proper answer. It's just in the back of my mind somewhere.

Back