Trying The Fork Seal Job Myself

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
So the Triumph dealer wants an hour labor per fork tube to install new seals if I bring in the tubes. $82 per hour. Going to do it myself. Ordered the seals and the special tools today. Tools only cost me less than $40. I have done regular fork seals several times. What do I need to know that is different or special about changing these 2006 standard Rocket fork seals ?

Good on ya, Amigo!
Shall be good to change out the fork oil anyway.
While in there you might consider dropping in a set of Progressive springs. Cost me $60 on EBay.

Changing the fork seals is a messy job. I did it once on an old dirtbike...after that I just remove the forks from the bike and run them over to the dealer whenever I have a fork seal issue. I can't offer anything specific to the rocket forks but the correct level of fluid is very important. I much prefer if the manual you have tells you the fluid level based on the height of the fluid from the top of the tube with the springs in and the forks collapsed. If you get a manual that tells you the amount of fluid to put it then it is much harder to do as if you have not completely drained each leg your end result will be off. Are going with the stock weight oil? Often using a blend of two weights can really dial the damping in.

I'm leaving it to the shop to do mine .. lot of tasks i'll tackle but want this job done by someone experienced in replacing fork seals .. and that ain't me ;)

I watched the young fella do mine and Peter K's. Not rocket science but you really do need to know what you're doing. It's not a job I'd tackle although a few on here have. Good luck. And you really should consider changing out the springs while you have it apart. Can't say that the Progressives improved the ride noticeably but made cornering much more direct and comfortable, especially at speed.

So the Triumph dealer wants an hour labor per fork tube to install new seals if I bring in the tubes. $82 per hour. Going to do it myself. Ordered the seals and the special tools today. Tools only cost me less than $40. I have done regular fork seals several times. What do I need to know that is different or special about changing these 2006 standard Rocket fork seals ?

I also perfer to do my own work so let us know how you go, I will be throwing in some springs & seals and differant weight oil at somestage
Ive done normal forks before but not upside down ones...... cannot see them being much different

READ THE SERVICE MANUAL ITS ON THIS SITE, I DONE MY R3 CLASSIC NOT TOO HARD BUT YOU WILL NEED A HAND TO COMPRESS THE SPRING WHILE UNDOING OR DOING UP LOCK NUTS THAT LOCK THE INNER RODS INTO THE TOP CAPS . I FOUND THAT THE TOP OF THE TUBE IS RAISER SHARP AND CAN CUT THE NEW SEALS SO I SANDED THEM WITH WET AND DRY SAND PAPER ,TO ME IT WASN'T AS TRICKY AS IT LOOKED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL GOOD LUCK

I also perfer to do my own work so let us know how you go, I will be throwing in some springs & seals and differant weight oil at somestage
Ive done normal forks before but not upside down ones...... cannot see them being much different

I put 10 wt. oil in mine cause that's what all the knee draggers were running. If I had it to do all over again I would have stayed with 5. 10 makes the ride a little harsh for me, just not enough to go through all the bull$hit of changing it. I'll wait till my seals go.

I put 10 wt. oil in mine cause that's what all the knee draggers were running. If I had it to do all over again I would have stayed with 5. 10 makes the ride a little harsh for me, just not enough to go through all the bull$hit of changing it. I'll wait till my seals go.

cheers for that, I'll keep it in mind......

Back