Truck driver almost lost his life

jcb7469

.060 Over
Ride
2010 rocket 3 touring
Check it out.
I'm about 30 miles from finishing a 450ish mile trip. Riding through a sleepy Texas panhandle town. Truck driver decides to change lanes and basically pushes me over with his trailer. I had the presence of mind to brake quickly before he hit me but I had what I would call a parking lot drop on the highway. I came unglued. Old lady at the quickee mart nearby asked me if I was ok. I just started yelling. I did apologize and tell her I wasn't mad at her and I was sorry. Trucker had pulled into quickee mart I guess for a delivery. I walked up to cab and said since you fng knocked me over you wanna help me pick this sob up. He was all apologies as we got it picked up and I assessed no real damage. I told him to pull his head out of his ass he was gonna get someone hurt. Then rode off I don't think I have ever been that verbally aggressive with anyone before and I'm in the Army. I also had two pistols in my luggage. Be careful folks if I had been going highway speed it would not have been pretty. Bike wrecked me hurt and a truck drivers job and possibly his life changed forever. I wasn't in his blind spot more than 30 seconds but a good lesson learned for both of us I hope

Sorry for your bad day. I drive a truck and I never ride beside or directly behind a truck any longer than necessary. They are big and you are driving sometimes long hours and there are endless distractions. That's not an excuse for poor driving, but a heads up to anyone near a truck.

Stay at least 300 feet behind a truck or pass it. I'd rather pass it myself with what I know as a former truck driver.
I agree completely and maybe 30 seconds was a misjudge of time. I just know I wasn't there long and he was in left lane I was in right traveling pretty slow there really wasn't anywhere for me to go. He didn't signal and slowed and changed lanes very abruptly

@jcb7469 Thankfully you and the bike are okay brother. Growing up in the Navy, the motorcycle culture on many of our bases was at either extreme. If the senior folks had motorcycles, life was cool on base. If not, life was a living he11. I remember taking a motorcycle safety course on every transfer even if I had had one within 6 months at the old base. Then again every 2 years while on the same base. I mention all this because I seem to remember a situation like yours where the sailor broke his lower leg when he tumbled into the curb. The jerk Master Chief said it was his fault for following too close to the truck that turned in front of him and since he has had the safety course he should have known better. The sailor lost his motorcycle privilege on base for a year and a suspended bust (administrative only as long as he doesn't break any other regs during the time period) of one pay-grade for negligence. This sailor could not perform his duties while healing and that is what really ticked off the Master Chief; that and his wife had left him for another guy who rides.

I do my best to stay ahead or behind any and all traffic. If I start to get boxed in I'll split lanes to get out of it. I don't even pretend to act like the cagers see me. I'm glad you are ok. brother.

Glad you're OK and really glad you didn’t pull one of your Smoke wagons.

It could change the rest of your life in a few seconds.

I assume EVERYBODY is going to cut me off, particularly trucks, not due to their lack of driving skills, but rather the large blind spots, I do always make sure I can see their eyes. I had a woman try to cut me off in an En Route on the way to Toronto last week, I saw it coming, braked, hit the horn. She came out when I was leaving and apologized, telling me she was a rider as well.:thumbsdown:.....I told her I assumed she was no different than any other driver, I assumed she was going to cut me off, and I was prepared.

Glad you're OK and really glad you didn’t pull one of your Smoke wagons.

It could change the rest of your life in a few seconds.
Me too. The pure controlled pissed off I was feeling actually scared me more than the wreck. Once I kind of came too I actually had to force myself to calm down with aggressive behavior. I'm not a really aggressive guy by my nature and I can't believe i was so mad. I took a ccw class but haven't turned in all the paperwork so the were in bags and not on my person.

Back