Trouble Loading Powertripp Tune

Victor Chiappetta

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi all.So I am pretty sure that I know the answer to what is going on here but I guess that it can't hurt to ask.
I hooked up to my 2013 Rocket 3 Touring (Bone stock) today during my lunch break and started the process of saving the stock tune,loading the Powertripp de-restricted tune and doing the reset adaptation.
Well after all that the bike won't start.I thought maybe it was something to do with the MAP but that's about impossible since so many are running it without issue.So I was in the process of downloading the stock tune back to the ECU when that process halted in TuneECU.
At that point I realized that more likely is that the whole process was just too much of a drain in the battery and the Bike just didn't have enough juice to start.
My plan now is to drop the battery off for a full charge,connect TuneECU again and then load the Powertripp MAP,reset Adaptation and go.
Or is it safer to just flash back to stock?
The original MAP reading took over 15 minutes (maybe closer to 20) to my surprise and I am sure that is what caused the battery drain.
Note: The only way that TuneECU would connect to my bike was with the Kill switch in the on position,which the TuneECU manual says is normal for the Keihin ECU,which is what TuneECU says my bike has.
Hopefully connecting with the Kill switch on had nothing to do with these issues.

You should pull the headlight fuse out when doing that so that the battery doesn't flatten. A set of jumper leads to a good battery would have probably got you going.

I hook a battery charger up to mine and others when playing with TuneECU, you do not want to drop battery voltage during the process. I have done several tune installs on a 2008 R3T and 2013 R3T without pulling the headlight fuse, just used the battery charger.

bob

I hook a battery charger up to mine and others when playing with TuneECU, you do not want to drop battery voltage during the process. I have done several tune installs on a 2008 R3T and 2013 R3T without pulling the headlight fuse, just used the battery charger.

bob

Aah ok good advice.So to get up and running I will pull the battery fuse after a full charge and since the download process only takes 5 minutes or so hopefully I will be good.Wish I had thought of that to begin with! I don't have a charger with me so that isn't an option.
remember to put the fuse back in after u finish.

Ok crisis averted,bike is idling now for the TPS calibration.Everything worked normally this time around.And FYI,it won't start without the Headlight fuse inserted.Looking forward to a snappier ride home!

I'm almost reluctance to mention this....funny story kind of...I'm sure I'll get some comments....I don't know what I was thinking. I saved my old tune as well, and yes, I does take about 15 to 20 minutes for it to be pulled off. I didn't use another battery when I did the tune, but I did make sure the headlight fuse to my EB was pulled and I did leave my battery tender hooked up as I uploaded the new tune. Battery voltage was good and no problems as all went as expected.

Anyway, you're probably asking, what's my point? Well, my bike wouldn't start either after the install! Everything lit up like it should, but dead as a doornail. Panic set in, of course, and I thought...what the hell happened? What am I going to do now? The long an short of it all is...I was standing up reaching across the tank with my right hand to start the bike with the clutch firmly pulled in. Like a dumb ass I finally realized I was pushing the "mileage reset button" instead of the starter button. After realizing the brain fart I was having, it fired up like a champ, I did the 12 minute tune and away I went. Can you see the embarrassment on my face as I'm writing this? Getting old isn't for sissies...stupid, stupid, stupid! :eek: :banghead: :thumbsdown: :( :laugh:

Let the comments begin!

Back