Triumph Tiger Explorer?

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Folks!

I've got 2 bikes. I've got my 12' Roadster and I also have an '03 Honda ST1300. I bought the ST1300 thinking I'd do some serious touring on it with my wife. This year we got the chance to do so, spent an entire week riding around Ontario and did about 1550KMS in total. The ST1300 did the job perfectly! But now that I am back from my trip, I am not really in love with the bike anymore.. I really do wish it had adjustable suspension and cruise control. I Am thinking about selling my ST1300 and looking towards a Tiger.

One of the things that I am most concerned about, and maybe someone else can chime in on this, .. I am 5'11 with a 32" inseam. For some reason, after about every hour or so, my kneecaps start aching when sitting on this bike. It's hard to explain but the only way I can describe it is if you were to let your legs literally just hang from your body with no support, it feels like gravity was pushing on my knees or pulling on them.. as soon as I get up and stretch, I can go for another hour.. but I dont think this is the case when it comes to any cruiser with a standard or cruiser foot position.

I am not sure if the tiger is more of a "Standard" or has the same seating style as the ST1300, I would be really pissed if I spent the money on the bike and realize after that my knees hurt riding it for long periods of time.

I also noticed that they have an 800cc version of the Tiger, I wonder if it feels underpowered or if its able to 2 up with myself being 220lbs and my wife around 190lbs... she freaking overpacks all the time (Gotta have the big purse!!)

Anyone got experience with Tigers?

I can't be very helpful regarding the TEx as I have only about 40 miles on one. I also have a 32" inseam and it was quite a stretch. Otherwise it was a blast to ride. The owner and his wife regularly tour on it.

If you want to replace the ST with something with adjustable suspension and cruise control, you might should consider a Trophy. I absolutely love mine.

Both the TEx and the Trophy are somewhat top-heavy compared to the Rocket so be prepared for that.

A footpeg lowering kit is available for the Trophy. It made a huge difference for my knees.

I can't be very helpful regarding the TEx as I have only about 40 miles on one. I also have a 32" inseam and it was quite a stretch. Otherwise it was a blast to ride. The owner and his wife regularly tour on it.

If you want to replace the ST with something with adjustable suspension and cruise control, you might should consider a Trophy. I absolutely love mine.

Both the TEx and the Trophy are somewhat top-heavy compared to the Rocket so be prepared for that.

A footpeg lowering kit is available for the Trophy. It made a huge difference for my knees.

I was mostly interested in the ability to be able to ride on roads that don't have smooth asphalt on them. Around where I live, I've found that there have been many times where I'd be on a regular paved road and then all of a sudden out of nowhere a terrible gravel road between country roads. I do not dare go on those roads on a Rocket with my wife on the back. On the ST1300 I did quite a few of those gravel roads with my wife on the back and it wasn't so enjoyable but I would love to be able to take something like a TEX and be able to blast through those roads with a bike that has the proper suspension and traction control would be great too.

I looked into the Trophy but I think its too similiar to the ST1300 in terms of what is does and is, a Sport Tourer... It's possible that one day in the end the best bike I can think of that would give me comfort, power and lots of room for storage is a gold wing. These days you can pick up goldwings for dirt cheap on the used market, but I am just not sure I am ready for that yet at my ripe age of 35.

Back