Mark Rieger

Standard Bore
Can anyone help my Rocket is stuck in third gear and needs fixing. it has been sitting in th shed for two years gathering dust I started to strip it down but in order to get to the gearbox the engine has to come out. Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I am based in Essex near Romford does anyone know a good mechanic that can fix it without it costing me a fortune need to get it done asap.

Mark

First of all, g'day and welcome.

The good news is that you don't have to take the gearbox out. The problem is the detent spring, and it is about 4 hours work. Instructions are in my signature below.

Thanks for the information the gear changer is just flopping about would this be the indication if the spring had broken ?

Mark

Mark Drain the oil and coolant pull the water pump off and take a scope and look to see if the detent spring is still mounted, flopping around or fell completely off after it broke?

Detent Spring Inspection.jpg

You have to get the front off before you get into the engine/gearbox anyway. The detent spring problem has shown up a few times, but the bolt on the actuator arm is almost non-existent unless someone has put it in incorrectly after the bike was new.

Will have to get a local mechanic to look at it as I do not have a scope unless you can see it without one.

Mark

Will have to get a local mechanic to look at it as I do not have a scope unless you can see it without one.

Mark

Uploading a video for you shortly mate of a stripped rocket donk with the internals rotating and swapping cogs so you can gain an understanding of the layout.

Also there is a radial spring around a section of the selector mechanism that I believe can cause this, I will upload a picture of the spring and it's location shortly. I had this spring move from it's correct position which caused the same effects you describe.

Back