Triumph Motorcycles Announces 2009 New Models

Good show. Nothing of substance relative to the Rocket. Not yet, at least. Which is fine with me. But then there's the Street Triple "R". Ruining my efforts to gradually turn my regular Streety into something a bit more ambitious, closer to the donor's bike, i.e the fabulous Daytona 675. Ouch! Jamie:)

Am a bit dubious as to the 2009 anniversary model color scheme. My archives say that the early --1959-- Bonnies had a two-tone "tangerine" (=orange red) and "pearl grey" (= kindda white) finish on them. Which happens to be the color scheme that Minichamps chose for its first model repro. According to these archives, the disappearance of the startling (sic) "tangerine" hue and its replacement by a conservative "azure blue", "pearl grey" continuing to adorn the rest of the tank, the side panels and the guards, was a 1960 model year change.

The question being: I had NEVER seen a combo of "tangerine" and "azure blue" on the same bike. Had you?:cool:

Jamie

Jamie, I believe those two colors you mentioned are separate bike colors with the other half of a two tone being the white. It is being offered in two different color schemes.
Dennis

If you go on the UK website for Triumph, you can see a close up of the new color scheme and it is definitely light blue on tangerine. Not my favorite.

According to these archives, the disappearance of the startling (sic) "tangerine" hue and its replacement by a conservative "azure blue", "pearl grey" continuing to adorn the rest of the tank, the side panels and the guards, was a 1960 model year change.

The question being: I had NEVER seen a combo of "tangerine" and "azure blue" on the same bike. Had you?:cool:

Jamie

My post was erroneous (I lost sleep after posting it ;)):

In late 1959 (i.e earlier than for the 1960 model year), Triumph intoduced an alternative to the controversial "tangerine/pearl grey" finish (standard on all production Bonnevilles, as from Sep. 1958): "Azure blue/pearl grey".

Fast rewind back to Aug. 1959 now: Whereas the "pearl grey" that came with "tangerine" was so pale that it looked like white, the "pearl grey" that was sprayed on the tank top, the guards and the side covers was actually a light blue, much lighter than the "azure blue" that adorned the bottom of the tank sides.

So, for the 2009 re-edition, Triumph has mixed (if not mixed-up) the two original 1959 color schemes, which is absolutely sacrilegious:eek:

:)D)

In addition, the end-result (see pic above) looks a bit too garish to me. Jamie

Jamie:

You must keep in mind that the 'New' Triumph Motorcycles Limited, Headquartered on Jacknell Road, Hinkley, Leicestershire, England, is in no way related to the Original Triumph Motorcycles, Limited, Meriden England, other than in name and trademark........a bought and paid for one at that.

Besides, the Bonneville is built in Taiwan, near the Kawasaki plant, under license and overseen by the 'New' Triumph Limited.

While purists may consider the miss-mosh of color combinations sacrilegious (I do as well), one must keep in mind that because this is a different company with a different philosophy, the slate is completely clean. While the bikes may resemble their predecessors from the Meriden Facility, they do so in outward appearance only. That appearance is a marketing ploy aimed directly at the nostalgic consumer and a very shrewd business philosophy at that. John Bloor and his company have used the Bonneville as the stepping stone to diversify into other models, a very successful business move on Triumph's part.

Interestingly, If HD followed Triumph's philosophy and designed and built a modern, emission compliant power plant that mimicked the venerable V-Twin and installed that power plant in bodywork that closely resembled even late model HD's, they (HD) would sell all they could build.

It's is a very intriguing concept both for Triumph and HD.

Back