Triumph Design flaw-does anyone have a Triumph email?

Elvis

Living the Dream!
Ride
2008 R3T
All,

I have had an interesting ordeal that wasn't much money but it amazed me as to what I discovered along the way.

Started to change my oil 3 weeks ago even though I still had about 4,000 miles left on this change. My dealer was the last one to have changed it as it was replaced when a detent spring was replaced. They must have put the plug in using an air wrench as I rounded the shoulders trying to remove it.

My follow up plan was to remove the bottom pan cover, replace the gasket and plug which I ordered from Bike Bandit for the job after drilling the old one out. The parts came in and they sent me a sump plug instead of an oil plug. At that point I thought I will simply weld a bolt in the hole which I did and it popped loose fairly easy.

I then called 5 dealers within 1.5 to 3 hours from here to see about getting the replacement plug- NONE OF THEM HAD ONE IN STOCK! They can't even stock a $5.00 part, ****!

So decided to correct the design flaw and cut the bolt I welded in off, ground it down smooth and welded an nut on the end of it and put it back in with no issue. The allen head plugs are a poor design in my opinion and should be corrected. I still have that crush washer from when the dealer changed the oil, you shoud see it:eek:

They torqued it so hard it came out around the plug itself.

If the dealer had only hand snugged the oil plug instead of hitting it with an air wratchet, it would have came out fine and not rounded off. Yes a bolt would be better, but sounds more like technician incompentency... which seems rampant at Triumph dealers.. lol

If the dealer had only hand snugged the oil plug instead of hitting it with an air wratchet, it would have came out fine and not rounded off. Yes a bolt would be better, but sounds more like technician incompentency... which seems rampant at Triumph dealers.. lol

I agree, but to not stock a replacement at dealers in Nashville, Memphis, Evansville, Louisville, or St. Louis, that is unreal.

You got to be kidding me they used an impact gun must've been one of those motorcycle tech graduates :confused:

I doubt if they did, but they did get it way too **** tight. They also over filled it meaning they either didn't remove the sump plugs or didn't change the filter.

AND that's why I do all my own oil changes. Heck with all all the dealer maintenance logs when reselling. I keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off anyway. (Big fan of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers)

AND that's why I do all my own oil changes. Heck with all all the dealer maintenance logs when reselling. I keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off anyway. (Big fan of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers)

Me too normally, but when they replaced the broken detent spring the oil and antifreeze had to be changed.

I just had a total tranny rebuild on my 06 last summer and when i washed it last weekend I noticed oil leaking out of head gasket. I put an Allen wrench on the head bolt and with 2 fingers moved it back and forth. Yikes. took in today for them to re-check everything on their dime.

Back