Triumph Dealer Network

druid

.040 Over
It seems that maintenance and service problems are pretty common with dealers (of all bike brands).

I have a dealer that seems to have a competent service group in whom I have marginal trust. Much of this might be my particular interactions and some bad luck.

As background, I have a 2006 Rocket II Special Edition with 25K miles, purchased on 13 April 2007. I have visited the dealer for service 4 times ( 600 mi, 10K, and 20K service intervals and a recent insurance estimate).
I have added a response to this to give more detail - just as a record.

My latest service experience resulted in an hour long discussion with one of the owners and the service manager. I had documented the service history and they seemed receptive to what I was saying but actions will convince me.

The crux of what I told them was that I do not doubt their competence but I have concerns about trust, transparency, and communication. I also expressed concern that there seems to be a pattern of these issues rather than an isolated case.

Preparing for and evaluating that discussion has led me to think that a statement by the Triumph owner community might be helpful to Triumph and their dealers to better focus on customer needs and expectations.

I think it is also helpful for us owners to consider what is really important to us and to establish a reasonable set of expectations by us from our dealers and service providers.

It seems that there are several issues ...

1. People who ride bikes tend to be passionate about it. As such, we tend to be more demanding and have higher expectations.

2. For Triumph, the dealer network is sparse, which traps us into using dealers and service departments we wouldn't use if there were choice. Conversely, the dealers have no incentive to improve.

3. In every business, trust and respect is paramount.

Harley Davidson is a great example of recognizing the value of a very important resource, their customers. I have added a response with my perception of Harley's customer focus.

Due to my personal, vested interest, I want to see a strong, trusted, and respected Triumph dealer network.

The better they are the more reliable my bike will be and the more I will get to ride it.

I do not believe dealer issues can be resolved without the full and committed support from Triumph.

I do believe that, as owners, we can influence the quality of the dealer network by carefully documenting problems, highlighting the positives, and clearly identifying what we need and want from that network.

I propose that we try to develop a list of expectations that we have of great dealers.

For example:

1. Always provide an itemized invoice for all work done. Parts and labor must be itemized - Warranty work must be itemized the same way. This demonstrates transparency and fosters customer trust.

2. Estimates for completion dates must always be given at the time the customer delivers the bike for service. This is also highly recommended at the time the customer schedules service for regular maintenance items. Should completion dates not be achievable, the customer should be contacted with a new date and an explanation for the change. This demonstrates a commitment to the customer and fosters customer loyalty.

3. Triumph must make it possible for dealers to quickly and easily check parts availability and order status. This demonstrates Triumph's commitment to the dealers and fosters a good brand image; this should be reflected in the customer.

4. Excessive delays must be compensated with pre-determined discounts and/or loaner bikes. This demonstrates a commitment to the customer and fosters customer loyalty and brand image.

The cost of ownership and service will always be an issue and should not be addressed as a Customer Service issue.

My primary focus is on creating a stellar reputation, when earned, for the Triumph dealer network.
If that happens, they should be able to add more dealers which will give us more choices, which will further drive customer service.

I've rambled on -

Your comments and suggestions concerning a "Customer Manifesto" are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
My dealer experiences

I have a dealer that seems to have a competent service group in whom I have marginal trust. Much of this might be my particular interactions and some bad luck.

As background, I have a 2006 Rocket II Special Edition with 25K miles, purchased on 13 April 2007. I have visited the dealer 3 times ( 600 mi, 10K, and 20K service intervals).

At 600 miles ...
no problems, no issues. The work was done as requested, as promised, and completed when scheduled.

At 10K ... April 2008
I began hearing the paint can, indicating transmission problems at 9600 miles
When I described the problem, the dealer sent a truck 40 miles to pick up the bike.
They diagnosed the problem and informed me that warranty parts would be ordered. They said they should have parts in about a week
I then heard nothing for a week, so I called them. Still waiting on parts ... blah, blah, blah ... a couple of days.
A week passes, no word. I call again. The parts are in but the mechanic is out "for personal reasons" ... no estimate on when the work will be done.
I bug them several times more by calling since they aren't calling me.

The story ends with ... the mechanic's house had tornado damage ... sorry for the delay ... the warranty work was done and the 10K service items that were done in the tranny work (oil change, etc.) were done under warranty.
I actually saved some money on the 10K service.
They gave me, after I requested it, a fully itemized description of the warranty work.

The problem I had was that they never called telling me that there was a delay, why there was a delay, or with a new estimate of when I would get the bike back.
This was a communication problem, on their part.
We were having good weather and I really, really wanted to be riding.

I later noticed that they left a couple of bolts off the chrome covers over the swing arm and shaft - the triangular pieces, not the Rivco items.

At 20K ... October 2008

I scheduled my 20K service a couple of weeks in advance. I asked for and received an estimate for the service and known parts (oil, filter, coolant, etc).

The Saturday before I was to take the bike in, I experienced high idle during a 12-minute tune and the bike got really, really hot. As a result, the rear brake wouldn't work.

I took the bike in to have the 20K and have the brake checked.
At that time I reminded them that I had scheduled a 20K service.

There is some kind of valve on the right side, just behind the cat that was affected.
They checked the brakes and ordered a couple of parts.
A week goes by, no contact. I visited the dealer and was told the parts had been ordered and that it should be a couple of days.
Four days elapse, I call - the parts have been ordered and it will be a couple of days.
Three days go by and I call on Friday - no parts. I ask if they have called Triumph to check. They say no. I ask if the 20K has been performed (had been scheduled for 10 days before) - no.
Two weeks have gone by, they have never called and they have said or done nothing to suggest that there is a problem.

They finally finish the brakes - the day before I called to check on the status.
I asked if there were any extra charges for the 20K service - silence, then what 20K service?
Three days later they finish the 20K.

I go to pick up the bike - there were no issues found to add to the parts or service charges on the maintenance but the price was $100 more than quoted.
I asked for an itemized bill -- it had parts sub-total and a labor sub-total. They couldn't produce an itemize warranty statement.

My guess is that I just ate what should have been warranty work on the brake problem.

I get the bike home and notice that the front brake pads are almost gone. I ordered pads and replaced them myself.

I also notice that they had left a screw off the radiator cover.

Damage Estimate ... April 2009

After taking a direct hit by a F4 tornado, I took the Rocket in for an insurance estimate on a Friday.

The service department manager said it should be Monday or Tuesday.
Tuesday came and went, as did Wednesday and Thursday and still no contact from the dealer with a status.

I was in the house .... there was not a single vertical stick left standing ... I am fortunate to be alive ... they pulled my dog out 2 1/2 hours after I was taken to ER by ambulance ... neighbors pulled the Rocket out of the rubble and secured it in a garage.

The fact that neighbors and total strangers began salvaging and securing my few remaining belongings is neither surprising or remarkable... people are good ... what is remarkable and overwhelming is when the goodness of people is directed towards us ... it is truly moving.
I'm sure there was a cell-phone talking, distracted driving moron in among them - I'll have to remember that the next time I'm inclined to shake my fist in traffic :)

but I digress ...

I went to the dealer and called them on it - talked to one of the owners and the service manager.

I had documented the above and they seemed receptive to what I was saying but actions will convince me.

The crux of what I told them was that I do not doubt their competence but I have concerns about trust, transparency, and communication. I also expressed concern that there seems to be a pattern of these issues rather than an isolated case.

Preparing for and evaluating that discussion has led me to think that a statement by the Triumph owner community might be helpful to Triumph and their dealers to better focus on customer needs and expectations.

I think it is also helpful for we owners to consider what is really important to us and establishing a reasonable set of expectations from our dealers and service providers.

My limited Harley dealer experiences

Harley Davidson recognizes that they have a very important resource, their customers.

Harley owners are, clearly, very proud of the "life style" when they talk about their bikes. They love the chrome, love the personalization, love the idea that their bike represents who they are.

When talking to Triumph owners, I notice a glint in their eyes. When I talk to Rocket owners, I see a fire.
It seems that Triumph owners are every bit as passionate about our brand as Harley owners but, perhaps, because of who they are and what the bikes are rather than the image they want to project or with which they identify. The latter is a gross overstatement, of course. I know and ride with some really great people with Harleys and met a few more on RAA-III in Nashville.

I do not know how Harley service departments are at what they do but I do know that virtually every HD dealership I have been in go out of their way to make the customer feel important and appreciated.

This is NOT the case with Japanese or European brands. There are certainly some great dealers for every brand, of course, but it isn't consistent.

One HUGE advantage is that Harley shops can sell ONLY Harley (I think) which gives HD great leverage in presenting the face and values they choose.

A friend who works in a Harley shop tells me that this is the result of a corporate culture and leadership, not just luck or blind loyalty by the Harley owners.

Triumph has just as strong a history and image as does Harley ... for those who know it.

I think it boils down to the individual dealer no matter what the brand. Some of the worst customer experience stories I have heard have come from HD dealers.

For example, my uncle ordered a 2003 hertiage softtail classic from a local, high volume HD dealer. They had one on the showroom floor but it did not have the upgraded factory paint scheme and it didn't have an alarm, which he wanted both. He told them to order one, he'd wait. It was supposed to take about 3 months to get the bike. One month later they call and said the bike was in. He took it home and watched the video on using the alarm but he never could get it to arm. He took it back to the dealer's service department and the a service guy came out and said, "Oh is this the one we sent out to have painted? It doesn't have an alarm." They took the bike from the showroom repainted it and gave him an alarm fob knowing it didn't have an alarm. The dealer wouldn't do anything about it and HD said it is a dealer issue. He had to sue to get his money back.

My local dealer sells BMW and Triumph. They offer great customer service. Their business has expanded as sales of both lines have increased, as a result they have had to add new help. So there are some "teeth cutting" issues with work quality, but they are always willing to make it right.

Im in the process of doing my first service myself (have 700 miles on the bike now)
The tire recall came at a great time because it matches my 500 mile service. Last Fri I was at the dealer to pick up some accessories I ordered and the salesman told me they had three sets of the warranty tires come in. I said great I need that and a first service. I have been toying with the idea of doing it myself but since it had to go in for tires I said what the heck ill have them do it. The salesman said ok Ill call you when we know of a schedule and how we want to handle it. I said ok. That was almost a week ago. So ever since I bought the bike I always felt like I was bothering them when i called. And I dont call often cause I cant stand talking on the phone. I guess I never got that warm and fuzzy feeling. So now I ordered filters form flip gonna get my "triumph qualified" mobil 1 racing 4t oil from autozone and do all those checks on the list myself. The only important one I saw was the headstock bearing. And that aint that hard to check. So I can get my accessories from MADSS for the same discount as my dealer and I can get parts without them to. So unless its warranty work I wont buy from them. I tried to go local but guess it didnt work out.

mutt

Hey Drud, that was sure a nice write up but It ain,t gona help. I have been watching Triumph and its dealers since 2004 and it hasn't gotten any better. All that you say is very nice but its like trying to fix the US Govt. If it wasn't for die hards like Pigger and Tomo and Flipper ETC Triumph would not be in business today.I have watched the same problems go from 2004 until now. Fuel guages cam sprokets ETC they just don't give a dam. As far as dealers go their just there to take your money and say goodbye. If they lose a customer so what another unknowing will be along any minute.
I realy liked my Rocket and want another one and was waiting for the problems you speak of to be corrected. Doesn't look like its gona happen.
Great bunch of guys here and most are use to Triumphs B.S. It's like they don't know there is anything better out there. Kinda like Hardly dudes with their heads burried in the sand.
I went back to Jap, bought two and am happier than a pig in sheet. The members here talk of one dealer that they trust, well isn't that great.
The only way to get triumphs attention is by not buying or putting up with their crap and costing them money.
Now just listen to the flames. Flips will be the best..LOL P.S. one guy fought them for 3 yrs and got a new Touring out of them but they would rather pay attorneys than fix things. His bike was posted here a while ago.

While I can't really brag on dealer service, as I'm not totally impressed with my local dealer either, I can brag on my Rocket.. July '04 model, 46,000 miles, no upgrade kit required (yet). No mechanical problems to speak of. My current setup is Jardines, underseat K&N, and a Power Commander. I do hot rod it on occaision.. ;) and ride a 70 mile round trip to work most days of the week. I've ridden to Sturgis, Denver, Eureka Springs, AR, many trips to Shreveport, LA and have had no hint of any thing about to go wrong..

Now after I said all of that, I will go find some wood to knock on really quick before my output shaft bearing locks up or my lower timing chain gear cracks and falls into the oil pan on my way home today... lol

Dealers and Jack

Hey Drud, that was sure a nice write up but It ain,t gona help. I have been watching Triumph and its dealers since 2004 and it hasn't gotten any better. All that you say is very nice but its like trying to fix the US Govt. If it wasn't for die hards like Pigger and Tomo and Flipper ETC Triumph would not be in business today.I have watched the same problems go from 2004 until now. Fuel guages cam sprokets ETC they just don't give a dam. As far as dealers go their just there to take your money and say goodbye. If they lose a customer so what another unknowing will be along any minute.
I realy liked my Rocket and want another one and was waiting for the problems you speak of to be corrected. Doesn't look like its gona happen.
Great bunch of guys here and most are use to Triumphs B.S. It's like they don't know there is anything better out there. Kinda like Hardly dudes with their heads burried in the sand.
I went back to Jap, bought two and am happier than a pig in sheet. The members here talk of one dealer that they trust, well isn't that great.
The only way to get triumphs attention is by not buying or putting up with their crap and costing them money.
Now just listen to the flames. Flips will be the best..LOL P.S. one guy fought them for 3 yrs and got a new Touring out of them but they would rather pay attorneys than fix things. His bike was posted here a while ago.

Druid,

First a great post and your covered allot of concerns that have been voiced on this forum and others concerning Triumph dealer support. I will have to say I am certainly not impressed by my Dealer who is located 80 miles away in Colonial Heights, Virginia. They did replace my cam chain under warranty, but I still think I was overcharged for the 10k checkup that took place at the same time. I too experienced the waiting on parts scenario, phone calls not returned, and just plain lack of good customer service. My bike was down for almost a month and not one phone call was placed to me from the Service Department. I initiated every followup. I have always done my own maintenance and keep meticulous records which has resulted in substantial savings in my five years of ownership of the FBG. Prior to the R3 I canceled a purchase of a new Bonneville after paying and filling out all of the paperwork with the dealership in Winchester Virginia. I found them changing out the ignition stitch with a used bike because they couldn't locate the keys to the new one I had purchased. They weren't going to tell me, I just happened to walk into the bay area to see what was taking so long for dealer prep. I did write to Triumph in Atlanta. I received a phone response was basically advised that they had little control over their dealership practices and they sent me a new Triumph riding jacket for my troubles.

Now for Jack. First good to know you are still alive and kickin. Thinking about another R/3 is a good thing Jack. You know Spike never left you stranded and I have always said that was one of the best jobs of personal customization on motorcycle I had ever seen. Spike was a "Bad Ass" Rocket and lets face it Jackson, you know you love to stick the paddle in the "s&%t pot" and stir no matter what form you are on. You are right, some of us curse the Triumph Dealers till we are blue in the face, but I won't ride anything but a Rocket.

Dealers are good and bad no matter what brand you buy. I have even had a good friend that is the service manager at a local Yamaha dealership play the "this is just business" card on me. During a factory recall for a transmission issue, I had some upgrades done when the engine was apart. All factory upgrade parts installed by factory trained techs. Well . . . . the thing knocked like crazy when I got it back. I was told by my friend (Ive known him since he was 15) that was normal with the high compression pistons. Well to make a long story short, 10 months later one piston shattered. When I took it apart I found both JP Pistons to be installed backwards . . easy to tell by the valve cuts. This was the first bike I let someone else do the upgrades on in close to 30 years. Anyway, he didnt want do anything about it because he didnt see the pistons in the cylinders. This is a guy that used to hang out at the bike shop I worked at to learn how to wrench on bikes doubting that I know whether or not the pistons were in backwards. His answer . . "its only business". The dealership ended up buying me a new Orient Express big bore kit.

Harley dealers . . . mostly arrogant asses in my experience. I will never own another one because of that.

I wont deal with one Chevy dealer because he tried to blatently screw me out of 100 bucks . . I will deal with another because he sold me crate motors at a great price . . who gets my new car business??

The owners of my Triumph dealership I have known for many years as well. Deb went to school with Julie. There have been some bumps in the road but for the most part they have been good to me. Unless there is a catostrophic failure, I will be doing my own work as usual. I am VERY happy with my bike. I have had more fun with this one than any in a long time. Even if it eventually has issues . . so what? Everyone does at one time or another. Bottom line . . I like my bike and I like my dealer.

Just my 2 cents . . gotta quit rambling . . heh.

Last edited:
I live in Central Ohio and we have 2 dealers one is Hinds Motorsports and the other is Motohio. I have heard good about both and bad about both but when I wrecked my Rocket I called Motohio and they would not come after the bike but when I called Hinds they was there within 2 hours picked up the bike had it back within 3 weeks. I also had an oil change and the whole bike checked over. Before my rocket I had the America and my speedometer quit working and Triumph okayed it to be fixed but it was almost 3 months later before they had the part and it was at Motohio. What dealer in the United States you all think is the best

Back