Silver Bullet

Supercharged
I can't find the reference so...I will take the easy route...a little help here guys...

Did I... or is my mind farther gone than I recognize:confused:read on this site that when installing Tripple K&N's, that they should be installed and used dry?

I have recieved the filters I ordered and want to clarify the thought process with regard to using oil or better yet PJ1 which is a very sticky and thick air filter oil.

I live in the high desert where you can be standing next to a mud puddle and have sand blowing in your face from the wind that follows every rain shower. So dirt is a consideration.

Your thoughts please?....Thanks S.B.

...2780's are wet.

Personally, I'd stick with K&N Filter oil and then a pre-charge kit. I found out the hard way the a K&N will actually shring if yoy was it with the wrong stuff......

If I can keep my IP running long enough, I might be able to get all the K&N filters on the website...I have the re-charges kits as well.

Last edited:
Don't the RU-2780's come pre-oiled? The crankcase breather and air/temp sensor ones come dry and I wouldn't oil them either.

Pigr...Yes the RU-2780's do come pre-oiled but can be easily cleaned of dirt, oil, and debris with just dish soap and water which is what I have done in the past. The other two filters used for the conversion are dry.

I simply could not see cleaning the K&N oil from the new filters with all the sand and wind we where I live. I felt like the wet filters referred to in your "how too" post should be ran in "as is" condition. Thanks for the confirmation.

One thing for sure...after doing my 10K service I was not pleased about putting the stock intake system back in the bike :( just to have to work around in the future. The Trip K&N are a much more sanitary install IMHO, to work with.

Thanks for the great post and pics to reference...S.B.

...2780's are wet.

Personally, I'd stick with K&N Filter oil and then a pre-charge kit. I found out the hard way the a K&N will actually shring if yoy was it with the wrong stuff......

If I can keep my IP running long enough, I might be able to get all the K&N filters on the website...I have the re-charges kits as well.

Flip...my reference to PJ1 oil was due to having used it on racing engine filters for go karts that I built in one of my past lives...:D The kids that I used to build for would find every way know to mankind to introduce sand and dirt into an engine....I actually have two new cans left in the cabinet from the "old days". Could be that I was trying to find a use for it rather than throw it away:D.

Thanks for your opinion on the use of OEM filter oil. Sounds like good advise. I'll take a trip to the K&N website and see what they recommend.

Have a great evening...SB.

pre- filters

Another option to help out your filters in harsh conditions are pre-filters, that just pull over your k&n s. They bearely restrict flow but keep the bulk of the crud from your filter. I purchased the pre-filters so i wouldnt have to worry about the rain(while touring) they do an excellent job ,and i can run all day in the rain with filters exposed.
I had a hard time finding for the 2780 filter cuz its universal, but found them from Outerwears performance prducts. Part #20-2084-01 Thay come in different colors, $12.95 each There phone # 269-679-3301

Thank You so much for passing along the part number and where to find them. I will see if Santa is willing to put them in my stocking for Christmas...SB...:)

Back