Torquex2

Supercharged
Ride
Tr3r. VN2000
I’ve ridden the R3r for all of six months. Probably closer to three, since I’ve divided ride time between my other bike. Okay, let’s be honest.... the Triumph being brand new, definitely got the lions share. I love the shift response while open road riding. It’s crisp n clean. From 2nd up n down is flawless, and a joy at virtually any speed. I find the “ tricky “ phases trying to neutral it before fully stopping down from 2nd. I get that it wants to go into first with a toe touch down. But this bike will neutral before you stop if “ touched” just right. 😏 like that one handed bra clasp move. Some days I have the touch. Others days it’s just an embarrassing up n down between 1st n 2nd , until I have to stop for the light. I’ve even had several times coming to a stop light when I’ve purposefully shifted into 1st, held the clutch in until the light changed, and then let off the clutch, and given it throttle. Only to be throughly embarrassed because it had gone from 2nd into neutral. And now I’m “ that guy” red lining his bike at the stop line. My VN doesn’t do that. It has a clutch govern “ thing” that prevents the bike from shifting into neutral until it comes to a full stop. Don’t know how the R3 shifts. Question is.... has anyone with the R3r experienced this “ tricky dicky “ shift thang? N do R3 owners experience kinda the same thing between 2nd down, n 1st up ?

I can't speak to new 2.5L R3's, but my R3T from new has always required firm shifting between gears with the clutch lever fully engaged. I rarely put her in neutral unless I am doing maintenance... like tomorrow when I flush the cooling system and replace the hoses.
-MIG

I can't speak to new 2.5L R3's, but my R3T from new has always required firm shifting between gears with the clutch lever fully engaged. I rarely put her in neutral unless I am doing maintenance... like tomorrow when I flush the cooling system and replace the hoses.
-MIG
I guess because I’ve always been used to my VN only letting my neutral shift after I’ve stopped. Getting “ cocky” with the R3r allowing me to slow down, pull the lever in, and try to neutral it before the light. Love doing that. Works about... half the time. Practice makes perfect right? ...Thx for the reply MIG.

I’ve always downshifted to 1st and left it there when I’m stopped, in case I have to beat it if an approaching vehicle is about to hit me from behind. This is a hypothetical case that’s never happened. The quick shifter should let you plop it smoothly into 1st but manually blipping it and downshifting firmly into 1st should work. I always find neutral from 1st, as when parking.

I’ve always downshifted to 1st and left it there when I’m stopped, in case I have to beat it if an approaching vehicle is about to hit me from behind. This is a hypothetical case that’s never happened. The quick shifter should let you plop it smoothly into 1st but manually blipping it and downshifting firmly into 1st should work. I always find neutral from 1st, as when parking.
+1

This is by far the best shifting bike I have ever ridden. My Indian Chief shifts like sh!t even with a brand new Barnett clutch. Easier finding waldo than finding Neutral.

Not sure it's a good idea to shift from second into N as you're approaching a stop, but I won't preach.
Downshifting from second to first, upshifting from first to second, or from 1st to N has never been easier. It's an absolute pleasure!
Never tried and probably will never try from 2nd to Neutral. I can't see a reason for it.

I’ve always downshifted to 1st and left it there when I’m stopped, in case I have to beat it if an approaching vehicle is about to hit me from behind. This is a hypothetical case that’s never happened. The quick shifter should let you plop it smoothly into 1st but manually blipping it and downshifting firmly into 1st should work. I always find neutral from 1st, as
This is by far the best shifting bike I have ever ridden. My Indian Chief shifts like sh!t even with a brand new Barnett clutch. Easier finding waldo than finding Neutral.

Not sure it's a good idea to shift from second into N as you're approaching a stop, but I won't preach.
Downshifting from second to first, upshifting from first to second, or from 1st to N has never been easier. It's an absolute pleasure!
Never tried and probably will never try from 2nd to Neutral. I can't see a reason for it.
Truth be told...I like to shift into neutral from second, because after riding this 2500cc palm sander for even a little while, my hands are so numb, that coasting towards a stop sign, or red light, let’s me take my hands off the grips for a few seconds of relief. Plus finding neutral on this bike sitting at a light is like searching for the mythical “G spot”. By the time I do find it, the lights green.

Truth be told"……………. Plus finding neutral on this bike sitting at a light is like searching for the mythical “G spot”. By the time I do find it, the lights green.
So it’s like a game?😅😅😅😅😅

I just go to first and hold the clutch. I think the clutch on this bike is very light, I love it.

The first time I’ve ever been struck from behind at a red light was this year on my brand new R3r. I’ll tell you’s that story soon. It was actually funny ass hell lol.

So it’s like a game?😅😅😅😅😅

I just go to first and hold the clutch. I think the clutch on this bike is very light, I love it.
Yeah good clutch. Vibration issues aside, I was told long ago by a good mechanic that constantly holding the clutch lever in while stopped will wear out the plates much faster.

Back