Traveling to the USA

dave64

Mr
Ride
Triumph Roadster 2010
A few friends of mine have started to talk about a trip to the east coast of the US next year. I maybe joining them , we would be hiring bikes and riding from Florida to New York and then inland to Chicago. Most of us will be couples and the other guys have been over and rode around before , what i would like is any information on things to see and roads to take on that side of the US. So any help or suggestions would be great.

Cheers Dave

Oh boy, you've opened up quite a thread here.

Without a doubt you will want to travel from Florida up to the Smoky Mountains area of western North Carolina. This is home to the famed Tail of the Dragon, however, the area is SO much more than just the Dragon. Check this link and go to the Maps page for a listing of other great roads in the area. www.tailofthedragon.com

If you decide to go to the Dragon, I highly recommend that your group stay at least one night at the Historic Tapoco Lodge. www.tapocolodge.com The rates include a high end multi course dinner and cook to order breakfast at a site that is 3 miles from the Dragon.

Nearby is the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway outside Cherokee, NC. It is a 468 mile limited access scenic road that runs along the spine of the Appalachian Mountains into central Virginia. Little Switzerland, NC is a fabulous stop along the Parkway. At the northern end of the Parkway you drop off in the middle of Virginia Wine Country. Many of the wineries in the region offer B&B accommodations.

By now you are about 100 miles outside of Washington, DC. If a visit to our nation's capital and all of the historical sites and museums interest you, this is your opportunity.

For north of DC I will turn if over to other Captains for their recommendations.

Stay away from the coast as much as possible, traffic is terrible there. I live near Niagara Falls, NY, if you want to stop for a night, I have a bunch of empty bedrooms. We have 2 seasons here, July and Winter. We've had Australian motorcyclists stay before, we are quite partial to them.

If you don't like traffic stay away from DC and northern Virginia,NJ, NY.
The Florida keys is a great ride and very interesting place to visit, the tail awesome, skyline drive in West Virginia is nice, North Carolina you can do the mountains. Coastal North Carolina is pretty cool too, you gan go up the coast and the take ferries from barrier island to barrier island. Good luck

I've been there in Jan/Feb - July I hope is a bit warmer.

Glad for you you missed this past February, coldest month ever recorded in 145 years of record keeping, besides being the coldest winter ever..

Glad for you you missed this past February, coldest month ever recorded in 145 years of record keeping, besides being the coldest winter ever..
I was on the Canadian side - maybe it's colder there? - Here the local saying is we get 6 months of Winter and 6 months of Hell. It goes from Cold to Hot to Cold with almost no Spring/Autumn. They're already out fighting brush fires.

Back