Transmission Update Needed?

vocaldog

VocalDog
Ride
2005 Rocket Standard
i heard that the early Rockets with silver engine are supposed to get a transmission upgrade? Is this correct? Obviously I am out of warranty by now. What should I do to rectify this? '05 Rocket Standard.

dont worry about it till it starts popping out of 2nd gear. then do the update.
i usually get it into 2nd before going wot.

Some background on the update:
The main issue was jumping out of 2nd gear at Wide Open throttle.

The update kit consisted of many parts, fixing many problems, including a revised 2nd gear dog ring to fix the popping out of 2nd.
It applied to Not just silver engines, but up to a certain VIN which I do not remember.

I had the Trans update done way back in 09 on my 08 standard.
Triumph did mine under warranty, but many folks got it done for free out of warranty.
My symptoms were: WOT in 1st, quick shift to 2nd, back on the throttle, BANG pop out of 2nd into neutral.

Many folks also got stonewalled by dealers that had no clue and wouldn't acknowledge the problem.
Others got the parts free but paid labor.
Many riders with bikes in the VIN range also reported no jump out of 2nd at all.

As time went on, the number of freebies diminished.
And the cost of the kit has now increased to the parts' combined list price, not sure, like $1200 to $2000.

As stated above, unless the bike jumps out of 2nd at WOT, forget about it, since the cost with labor is big bucks.

The bill of the cost is labour...The parts are only a few hundred US. The main difference is a 6 window/dog set up instead of 4.

Some get the dog gears undercut but I'd be wary of the case hardening being ground off exposing the softer sprocket metal.

If the undercutting is properly done it is a good improvement. I am not sure exactly, but feel that the gears are the same hardness all the way thru. Maybe try out a buggerred one and see, I'm pretty sure the way they are made means they have to be "tough" rather than hard if you get my meaning. Many Japanese gears are sintered now days which means they are the same hardness all thru.

If the undercutting is properly done it is a good improvement. I am not sure exactly, but feel that the gears are the same hardness all the way thru. Maybe try out a buggerred one and see, I'm pretty sure the way they are made means they have to be "tough" rather than hard if you get my meaning. Many Japanese gears are sintered now days which means they are the same hardness all thru.
what gear dogs etc would need to be undercut etc

I recall reading here the price of the update kit is much higher now than it used to be, no longer hundreds

The cost of all 5 gear sets is only about $1100 USD...not sure how they can justify more than a few hundred in parts the update kit???

This kit no longer exists in Canada period. Triumph don't even want to acknowledge that it ever existed. So far my black engine 06 is okay.

Back